Position: Accounting Assistant
Report to: Chief Financial Officer
Salary: Hourly range of $20.19 -- $21.15
Status: Part-time, non-exempt – 0.60 FTE – 24 hours per week
Probation: 90 day
Benefits: Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 403B after 90-day probation
The mission of the Institute for Public Strategies (IPS) is to work alongside communities to build power, challenge systems of inequity, protect health, and improve quality of life.
IPS is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities who are otherwise qualified and able to perform the functions of this position.
The Institute for Public Strategies (IPS) is seeking a part-time Accounting Assistant for a company with approximately 35 employees and offices spread across Southern California and in the states of Washington, Maryland and Montana. This position requires a creative problem solver who is detail oriented and requires minimal supervision. The candidate must work well as part of a diverse team with varying ideas and work styles. This position is based out of Mission Valley in San Diego.
1. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure 2. Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close.
3. Process full Accounts Payable cycle, semi-monthly payroll,
4. Audit and code invoices to purchase orders and packing slips
5. Verify that transactions comply with GAAP and the organization’s policies and procedures
6. Compile and analyze financial information to prepare/review entries to general ledger
7. Prepare monthly billings for contracts
8. Prepare annual sales/use tax return, property tax exemptions, business licenses
9. Prepare quarterly bureau of labor statistics reports
10. Assist with annual audits and funder audits 11. Communicate regularly with Executive Management Team and its members to ensure cohesiveness.
12. Complete progress reports
13. Other duties as assigned
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field or commensurate experience AND minimum two years Staff Accountant level experience
2. General knowledge and implementation of accounting principles
3. Hands-on experience working with an automated accounting system; 10-key by touch
4. Intermediate level Excel (lookup tables, pivot tables)
5. Detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy and strong data entry
6. Highly developed organizational skills
7. Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and prioritize effectively
8. Strong work ethic – exhibits willingness to go above and beyond
9. Ability to communicate with staff and supervisors effectively
1. Bilingual capacity
2. Sage MIP Fund Accounting software experience
3. Non-profit accounting knowledge
This job description describes the general nature and level of work of this position. This is not a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All IPS employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.
Must have a valid California Driver’s License and an insured, reliable vehicle to use during work.
Position will require FBI background check/fingerprinting and drug testing. However, lived experience should not deter anyone from applying.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF.