Institute on Violence, Abuse & Trauma (IVAT)
San Diego, CA
POSITION TITLE: Administrative and Billing Assistant
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT: IVAT General, Professional Clinical and Forensic Services
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full Time (40 Hours Per Week), Non-Exempt, benefits eligible
IVAT is a one-stop shop to address and end violence. We host 2 international summits annually, house 3 academic journals, maintain several research databases, provide program evaluation, consultation, and a wide array of trainings addressing violence, abuse and trauma-- many of which can be used toward specialty certificates and continuing education, and offer vital professional and clinical services to San Diego County and beyond.
The Administrative and Billing Assistant, under the general direction of the Office Manager and Chief Executive Officer, is the gateway and liaison for office information and communication. This person will support general office operations and provide administrative support for the IVAT clinic, including scheduling, billing, and client account maintenance.
The successful candidate will be dedicated to providing high quality service to all constituencies of the Institute on Violence, Abuse and Trauma. The candidate will exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical principles and will be committed to the tenets of IVAT's Mission and Vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This role will be responsible for supporting basic office operations to help ensure an organized and efficient workspace. This includes:
- Maintaining the calendar for office meeting spaces and scheduling meetings for the President and Chief Executive Officer
- Ordering supplies and maintaining office inventory
- Acting as the initial point of contact for the office by answering the main office phone line and email address, and directing communication to the appropriate departments.
- Daily office operations such as checking and distributing mail, running occasional errands for supplies or shipping needs, refilling the water in the Keurig machine and changing the filter, turning off lights at the end of the day, etc.
- Serve as liaison between IT provider and staff to address any equipment needed or issues with work accounts/connectivity
- Monitor and file account renewals, ensure state, federal applications are submitted
- Draft and submit donation thank you letters
- Coordinate payments for janitorial services and utilities, connect with building landlord as needed
- In addition to general office operations, this role will support clinic operations through direct client contact regarding scheduling and billing or payment information. This includes the management of sensitive and confidential client information and data.
- Managing the clinic’s online referral system and following up with client referrals to obtain additional contact information
- Maintaining waitlists for client contacts
- Coordinating with the scheduling of appointments, billing, or other non-clinical related content
- Processing and tracking payments across multiple spreadsheets and client invoices
- Following up with clients regarding payment plans for past due account balances
- Other duties may include:
- Assisting with the purchase of clinical testing materials or clinic supplies
- Assisting with credit card reconciliations for the clinic related purchases
- Following up with the clinic staff/clinicians on acquiring de-identified client data for the tracking of service provision rates
- Assisting in the management and organization of clinic files, testing materials, and office organization
- Other duties as assigned
High School Degree, some college preferred
One year related experience required in administrative duties, billing experience preferred
Knowledge of office administration
Knowledge of billing and invoicing systems
Knowledge of basic office software (Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, etc.)
Effective organizational skills
Effective written, verbal, and listening communication skills
Effective customer service skills
Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
Effective stress management techniques
Effective time management techniques
Demonstrate sound work ethic
Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering information
Ability to maintain confidentiality of records, files, and information related to IVAT services
Ability to follow established procedures and guidelines
Ability to successfully work individually and as a team member
Ability to effectively interface with the public within an organization at all professional levels including staff
Ability to compromise a desired outcome
Ability to effectively communicate verbally, in writing and electronically
Ability to prioritize work tasks and maintain a productive workload
Ability to utilize sound judgement for problem solving; knowledge to know when to consult a supervisor
Working knowledge of advanced planning; ability to initiate tasks and projects
Ability to lift up to 35 pound boxes
Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
Prior knowledge in the fields of violence, abuse and trauma helpful
Committed to the mission and vision of IVAT as a social change organization
Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
Valid California driver license at time of hire
Background Check: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Anti-discrimination Policy: IVAT prohibits discrimination in employment and in its educational programs and activities, including admission or access thereto, on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or associational preference.
IVAT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IVAT will conduct its programs, service and activities consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and orders.
This policy is governed by Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the regulations implementing these statutes, and applicable federal and California law.