About the Museum: The San Diego Natural History Museum is run and operated by the San Diego Society of Natural History, a private not-for-profit scientific organization incorporated in 1874. The Museum’s mission is to interpret the natural world through research, education and exhibits; to promote understanding of the evolution and diversity of southern California and the peninsula of Baja California; and to inspire in all a respect for nature and the environment. Within the Museum, the Biodiversity Research Center of the Californias (BRCC) encompasses all scientific research, collections, and resource management activities.
About PaleoServices: Within BRCC, the Department of PaleoServices specializes in working with external clients to fulfill their needs in paleontological resource management. The focus of PaleoServices is on the recognition, recovery, and preservation of the significant and unique paleontological resources (fossils) that provide critical direct evidence of the rich biological and geological history the greater southern California region. For general information about our paleontology mitigation program, please visit: https://www.sdnhm.org/science/consulting-services/paleo-services/
This position performs administrative activities in PaleoServices and provides assistance to the Director of PaleoServices and the BRCC Contract Manager.
Administrative Assistant Job Responsibilities:
- Providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of DPS.
- Preparing and submitting initial compliance documents to lead agencies.
- Coordinating submittal of various monthly updates and progress reports to clients.
- Calculating mileage reimbursements and per diem for billing purposes and adding to contract balance spreadsheets for invoicing.
- Compiling information on fossil preparation and curation hours/budgets and distributing to staff.
- Tracking records search requests and other one-time invoicing projects and ensuring that invoices are prepared and submitted to clients.
- Scheduling regular Departmental meetings and taking meeting notes on an as-needed basis.
- Maintaining and updating guest list for annual PaleoServices Open House, overseeing preparation of guest invitations, and coordination of Open House event with Special Events staff and vendors.
- Preparing/reviewing/submitting Departmental purchase requests and coding.
- Maintaining supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies.
Administrative Assistant Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of administrative experience, including reporting, writing, process management skills. The cover letter should clearly articulate this experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to effectively work with a diverse range of people.
- Proven team player with good communication skills and customer service skills who is approachable, responsive, trustworthy, professional, and positive.
- Working knowledge of appropriate software including: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat.
- Academic or avocational experience in natural history is preferred.
The pay range for this position is $16 to $18/hour. The position is part-time, up to 29 hours/week, and accrues vacation and sick time. The position is not eligible for health insurance nor retirement benefits. However, employment does allow for free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
Please submit resume and cover letter (including salary expectations) to Tom Deméré (email@example.com). No phone calls or drop-ins, please.