The Museum of Photographic Arts (MOPA) is seeking an energetic, attentive Director of Development responsible for the strategic leadership, supervision, and execution of all MOPA fundraising activities including: individual, corporate, foundation and government giving; endowment planning; and fundraising events. The incumbent must thoroughly understand and be able to articulate MOPA’s mission, history, key stakeholders, and programs AND its unique vision and culture in the rapidly changing museum industry.
This position reports to the Executive Director/Chief Curator, and works closely with Board development committees. They will manage the stewardship of current leadership donors and develop long-term relationships built on a firm understanding of donors’ interests, passions and values. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a knowledge of art and have familiarity with fundraising practices at the institutional level.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Leading a small team to raise between $2 and $2.5 million annually in support of museum operations.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit established and prospective gift donors.
- Work with staff in providing strategic direction and oversight for all membership and patron programs.
- Collaborate with exhibition and marketing staff to develop campaigns and increase members and donors.
- Enhance MOPA’s planned giving program.
- Collaborate with grant writer and Visual Learning staff on developing a robust grants calendar and oversee related applications and budgets.
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events, patron trips and biennial gala. Secure corporate sponsorships for such events and foster ongoing corporate partnerships.
- Provide oversight and use of the fundraising software and donor database.
- Keep informed of changing strategies in philanthropy and tax planning for possible impacts on development efforts.
- Collaborate with other art and community partners.
- Communicate and collaborate with the Board of Directors for MOPA regarding fundraising initiatives
- Execute any additional tasks reasonably assigned by the Executive Director
The ideal candidate will possess 7+ years of progressively responsible fundraising experience;
Ability to set strategic direction consistent with the organizations’ strategic plan; design and implement operational plans;
Demonstrated creativity in developing fundraising programs that engage various donor bases;
Solid experience and proven results in identifying, cultivating, and expanding high-level donors;
Strong general knowledge of all development activities in arts and culture;
Commitment to diversity and a history of working effectively with people irrespective of their economic status, ethnicity, gender, age, abilities, educational level, sexual orientation or gender expression;
Superior empathetic interpersonal communication skills and strong writing and organizational skills;
The capacity to inspire and motivate donors, staff, and prospects;
Demonstrated flexible and collaborative personality amongst multi tasking and adjusting priorities;
Outstanding public speaking skills;
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; budgeting, billing, and record keeping experience;
Knowledge of professional standards and legal parameters regarding fundraising activities;
Computer and database proficiency required, familiarity with Donor Perfect a plus;
Willingness to be hands on in a role that is demanding and requires a high level of energy
Ability to work some evening hours for events and some weekends required.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty and employee is expected to perform. MOPA is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible (IDEA) workplace. As an organization, we seek to carry out hiring practices that meet these standards. (EOE/AA)
This position is a benefits eligible that will have the option of hybrid on site and remote working subject to State, County and Local COVID restrictions and regulations.
Send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. No phone calls please.