Art Handler/Exhibition Technician
Who We Are
Founded in 1978, Mingei International Museum collects, preserves and exhibits “art of the world, art of the people,” including folk art, craft and design from all eras and cultures. Located in San Diego’s iconic Balboa Park, this highly respected Museum offers stunning exhibitions and diverse educational programs to more than 100,000 visitors each year. The Museum is a nonprofit organization.
Mingei has a deep commitment to creating a space where people are inspired to see their own world through new eyes and, in turn, rediscover, embrace and nurture their own creativity. The Museum is close to completing a comprehensive, $55M building renovation to fulfill this mission in meaningful new ways. The transformed Mingei will be a place where all are welcome, where the community can gather, and where individuals can rest and find creative inspiration — all in the heart of Balboa Park. To learn more, please visit here.
At Mingei we strive to offer a memorable and meaningful experience to our audience, and this is only possible with the hard work and dedication of a passionate and creative team. Our commitment to equity, inclusion and accessibility is reflected in the work we do. As an organization that champions “art of the people,” our goal is for the Museum’s staff, board, volunteers and audience to represent diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity and national origin.
Mingei International Museum staff are preparing to move back to the museum’s location in Balboa Park after the completion of a multi-year renovation project and are seeking temporary art handlers/installation technicians to aid the Exhibitions department. The incumbent(s) will assist Registrars to pack, track, prepare and install objects for exhibition. Previous experience handling 3D art objects desired as well as the ability to climb ladders and handle heavy packed boxes. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, collection management databases or project management software a plus. Applicants with any combination of registration, art-handling and preparator experience will be considered.
- Pull objects from storage and unpack for curatorial review
- Pack objects slated to ship to the museum
- Track object locations in collection database
- Assist Registrars to assess condition of objects
- Unpack and install objects in museum exhibitions and installations
Requirements, Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Be able to multitask and take direction
- Flexibility as it relates to shifting priorities and problem solving
- Ability to identify and execute best way to pack art objects for travel
- Ability to identify the safest way to install art objects
- Ability to climb ladders
- Lift at least 50lbs, sometimes overhead
- Stand and be on your feet for long periods of time
- Comfortable operating a pallet jack
- Experience making exhibition mounts
- Experience fabricating exhibition furniture/walls
- Familiarity with power tools and installation hardware
Submit your resume and cover letter by clicking the link: Work at Mingei International Museum as an Art Handler/Exhibition Technician. | Mingei International Museum