POSITION: Business Operations Coordinator
STATUS: Regular, Part-Time, Non-Exempt
HOURS: 8-12 hours/week; workdays/hours negotiable
LOCATION: In-Office (based in San Diego, CA)
COMPENSATION: $17-$19/hour, depending on experience
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
WHO YOU ARE: Our ideal candidate:
- Has skills and experience in bookkeeping/accounting; payroll and benefits; and human resources, ideally for a nonprofit organization;
- Is seeking a mission-driven workplace that values efficiency, impact, flexibility, and growth;
- Is willing to roll-up their sleeves to do the hard work, including a willingness to explore new opportunities;
- Has a nonprofit heart and a business mind;
- Approaches their actions, words, and work with a keen focus on inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility;
- Is deeply motivated by the power of reading!
Words Alive connects children, teens, and families to the power of reading. We serve at-risk students of all ages and their families throughout San Diego County. During the 2019-2020 academic year, we served over 3,800 children, teens, and families facing extraordinary circumstances such as homelessness, poverty, foster care, abuse, impact by the juvenile justice system, and teen pregnancy.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Responsible for assuring Words Alive thrives as a valued part of our community, the Business Operations Coordinator ensures the organization runs effectively allowing our full team to focus on programming and resources needed to connect everyone to the power of reading. The Business Operations Coordinator’s core functions include bookkeeping/accounting; payroll and benefits; human resources; and office management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accounting Clerk (45%)
- Manage accounting clerk functions including: accounts payable/accounts receivables; billing and collection; disbursements; employee expenses; expense management; coding and reconciliation of credit card statements; petty cash reconciliation; preparing and making bank deposits; processing of donations and pledges; etc.
- Ensure files are kept, maintained, and presented for the annual audit. Coordinate the annual audit with the CPA firm, executive staff, and Board committee.
Payroll Administration (15%)
- Effectively, efficiently, and accurately prepare, process, and monitor bi-monthly payrolls for exempt, non-exempt and temporary employees in RUN by ADP. (8-15 employees)
- Oversee accuracy and compliance with timekeeping, tax, direct deposit information, leave balances. Process all new hires, employee changes, and terminations.
- Process employment and unemployment verifications; payroll adjustments, stop payments, and manual checks, etc.
Benefits Coordination (15%)
- Administer various employee benefit programs, such as medical, dental, vision insurance, 403b, and flex spending accounts, using EASE and other platforms.
- Act as liaison with benefits providers, brokers and/or consultants to develop, revise, and secure accurate administration and billing of plans.
- Oversee and manage: leaves of absence and return to work activities, COBRA, unemployment claims, workers compensation, benefits reporting, and annual audit.
- Manage open enrollment.
Human Resources (10%)
- Create a culture of appreciation around work/service anniversaries, birthdays, holidays.
- Coordinate onboarding for new employees and annual performance review process.
- Ensure compliance with HR laws and regulations, annual update of Employee Handbook.
Office Management (10%)
- Ensure smooth office operations, supporting both in-person and remote work.
- Track and coordinate compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, rules, statutes, and permits.
- Serve as a liaison with office management vendors.
- Professional and timely front desk reception. Manage general inquiries via phone and email.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- 1-2 years of experience in bookkeeping/accounting, administering payroll, human resources, and/or benefits.
- Strong numerical aptitude and attention to accuracy.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Able to skillfully manage several competing priorities and pressing timelines
- Sensitive to confidential and protected information
- Experience exercising tact and diplomacy in representing employer and executives.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a diverse variety of individuals.
- Optimistic, positive, welcoming, thoughtful, and professional demeanor.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and population served.
Educational and Technical Expectations
- Comfort with online platforms to manage payroll and benefits (e.g., RUN by ADP, EASE)
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Online.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office Suite computer skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Academic coursework or professional development courses in business administration, human resources management, finance, or accounting.
- Experience working or volunteering with nonprofit organization(s).
- Experience working with donor database.
- Lived experiences aligned with the organization’s mission; participation in Words Alive’s programming.
This position requires:
- Ability to work on a computer and phone for at least 80% of the day.
- Role is an in-office position. The office is on the second floor of a building with no elevator. Reasonable accommodations will be made, as necessary.
- Ability to drive to and from meetings, activities, and events occasionally throughout Words Alive’s service area.
For more details and specifics: https://www.wordsalive.org/business-operations-coordinator