The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking enthusiastic and friendly part time Café Attendants to assist guests at our Café. The Café Attendant provides Museum guests an unparalleled customer service experience in a fast-paced, educational and entertaining environment. The ideal candidates will be comfortable shifting roles and responsibilities throughout the day while continually maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor.
This position requires Saturday and Sunday availability. Holidays and some evenings are required.
- Provide consistent and excellent customer service to visitors, members, and staff.
- Prepare and serve food, beverages and snacks. This includes operating a traditional expresso machine.
- Assist in the kitchen, as needed, in the preparation of food according to the instructed recipe, as well as packaging and labeling of items for sale.
- Oversee Café equipment and its proper use
- Operate POS cash register and maintain accurate cash drawer through shifts
- Keep a clean well stocked café and retail space, and be able to describe all items you offer
- Keep track of current stock levels for all items in use. Restock as needed.
- “Clean as you go” for each work station
- Change trash as needed. Clean tables and sweep dining area as needed.
- Promote and maintain a safe and clean environment for co-workers and guests
- Participate in departmental meetings and contribute to a positive team environment
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess valid food handler card
- Capable of serving alcoholic beverages only to guests over 21 years of age.
- The top qualification required is a friendly personality with a guest-focused attitude and a commitment to creating a welcoming and fun atmosphere for the Museum's visitors
- Professional demeanor, reliable, and hardworking
- A background in customer service, hospitality, or retail with experience in cash handling is desirable
- Familiarity with Balboa Park a plus
- Must be able to communicate verbally for the majority of each shift
- Ability to learn processes, procedures and information quickly
- Physical requirements & demands to successfully perform the essential function of the job include:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; walk; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position pays $14/hour plus tips. Employees enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls or drop-ins please.