$2,500 Retention Bonus! This position is eligible for a retention bonus ($1,250 paid at six months and $1,250 paid at one year of employment!)
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Interfaith is recruiting a CFO to lead all finance, accounting, human resources, and non-program operations. The CFO works closely in leadership with the CEO, Chief Program Officer, Chief Development Officer, and Chief of Staff. Interfaith’s current CFO will be retiring 12/31/21, and we are seeking someone who can join our team this Fall to learn and work alongside our current CFO before taking full responsibility in January 2022.
The Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, and Operations teams the CFO oversees are all very high functioning, and seeking a team-oriented leader who can further support growth and optimization of work-flows.
As an organization Interfaith has grown tremendously in recent years. Since FY 17 Interfaith has more than doubled in total employees, from 110 to more than 230, increased net assets from $23.6 million to $40.2 million, and increased annual operating budget from $12.1 million to $23.8 million.
The opportunity to lead as CFO at Interfaith Community Services is an opportunity to create positive change in our communities, through further growth and strengthening of Interfaith’s operations, finances, and personnel.
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: Founded in 1979 in direct response to rising rates of hunger and homelessness in North San Diego County, Interfaith Community Services works to break the cycle of poverty and homelessness by Helping People Help Themselves. Interfaith is the most comprehensive social services agency in North County, providing both immediate safety net services and long-term, life-changing programs designed to meet the holistic needs of people in crisis. Together, in partnership with 250+ diverse faith communities, more than 650 recurrent volunteers, and a growing staff of over 200, Interfaith provides a safe haven and pathway towards self-sufficiency for more than 20,000 community members annually.
POSITION BACKGROUND: The CFO is responsible for all financial matters of Interfaith Community Services. In addition, s/he will provide oversite to Human Resources, Information Technology, and Facility Operations. As a member of the Executive team, s/he will partner with Senior Leadership, Finance Committee, and the Board of Directors to develop long-term planning and implement strategies across the organization. The CFO will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal, state, and local) contracts and private grants. S/he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
• Oversees cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
• Oversees cash, investment, and asset management
• Oversees financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships
• Develops and utilizes forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
• Participates in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team
• Engages the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections
• Manages accounting control systems ensuring the accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports
• Coordinates the development and monitoring of agency wide and individual program budgets including budgets for new or expanded services
• Oversees the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements
• Presents financial reports to the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors
• Oversees and reviews the preparation of all program financial reporting required by funding sources
• Manages the agency’s insurance policies, including ongoing risk analysis
• Reviews efficiency/effectiveness of employee benefit programs, seeking approaches to lower costs where possible and consistent with required quality levels
• Coordinates audits and proper filing of tax returns
• Remains up to date on nonprofit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
• Monitors changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments and implement changes in procedures and needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position will be responsible for supervising staff within the department. Current direct reports include Controller, Director of Human Resources, and Director of Operations (oversees all Property Management, Facilities, IT). This position provides daily supervision of tasks as well as direction and leadership to the team. This position is responsible for making hiring and firing decisions, conducting performance evaluations, and identifying and promoting professional development opportunities. Identifies areas where volunteers are needed, and works with Volunteer Services in recruiting new volunteers to help further its capacity to serve clients.
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration required
• CPA and/or MBA preferred
• 10+ years of broad finance/accounting experience required
• 5+ years of experience as a CFO or equivalent required, preferably in a nonprofit organization with multiple private and public funding sources
• Experience forecasting, budgeting, and reporting for multiple programs and departments required
• Demonstrated financial and strategic planning experience and process improvement successes within a complex organizational-setting
By joining our team, you'll work with amazing people serving those in-need of a hand-up in our community. Benefits include:
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
Paid Time Off - Three weeks to start!
Paid Holidays - 13 scheduled
Paid Parental Leave
Paid Bereavement Leave
Work Anniversary Bonus
Healthy Rewards Program
Life Assistance Plan
Financial Assistance Program
Flexible Work Schedules
Business Casual Work Environment
Professional Growth and Career Development Opportunities
Interfaith is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, pregnancy, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, nationality, sex, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Interfaith will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.