The Arc of San Diego is the largest, most comprehensive provider of services to children and adults with disabilities in San Diego County.
We are a diverse team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about serving and empowering children and adults to live their most fulfilling and independent lives.
We live by our Person First, Person Centered value system to create meaningful days for our clients and each other. In hiring, we look for candidates that are a strong addition to our culture, as well as bring the talent and experience required by the position. We offer a positive, team-oriented work environment with opportunity for professional growth and continuous learning, and the chance to make an impact on someone’s life in a meaningful way.
We are currently hiring Direct Support Professionals to join our team. You will be teaching people with intellectual and developmental disabilities new skills and improving their independence.
Who you are:
- Believe in empowering individuals in living their most independent lives
- Are flexible and adaptable to different situations
- Have an educator mindset
- Take pride in being a reliable and inclusive member of a team
A typical day will include:
Providing culturally appropriate direct support to individuals using person-centered approaches and strategies including:
- Support and motivation to reach individual goals and objectives
- Engage and facilitate meaningful activities that cater to the person’s individual interest, preferences, and choices; teaching as necessary
- Assists daily living skills including in the areas of grooming, hygiene, toileting, feeding and mobility
- Provides medications as necessary
Completion of electronic documentation prior to end of shifts
What you’ll need to be successful:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Valid CA Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Immediate access to vehicle with working seatbelts to transport participants
- Comfort driving a full size van with multiple passengers
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and move up to 75 lbs
- High comfort in using multiple computer /mobile device programs
We’d love it if you:
- Had 6 or more months of prior hands-on experience with persons with intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Are multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Have experience with electronic case management systems (Therap)
- Have experience with individual service plans (goal development)