The Development Manager plays a critical role within the Reality Changers Development team, which is focused on driving and supporting strategy for three key functions: fundraising, communications, and events. The Development Manager is responsible for supporting the overall operations of the team, with a focus on strategically expanding our small to mid-level donor base to support the organization’s goal of serving more students. Key outcomes for this position include:
- Work with the entire Development team to achieve the organization’s fundraising goal each fiscal year (FY22: $2,125,000)
- Manage a portfolio to cultivate, solicit and steward donors who give up to $2,500 during the fiscal year
- Manage the organization’s monthly giving program (Goal of $35,000 for FY22)
The Development Manager will report to the Director of Development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Donor Relations (50%):
- Work with the Development Team to implement and manage an annual fundraising plan (e.g. peer-to-peer campaigns, year-end appeal, donor stewardship events, special events, etc.).
- Responsible for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gifts up to $2,500.
- Grow and manage the monthly giving program including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
- With the Director of Development, develop targeted mailing lists and prospect lists for campaigns and special events.
- Manage third-party fundraisers by attending planning meetings, helping sell tickets, and coordinating Reality Changers volunteers for the events (with the Volunteer Coordinator).
- Support the President/CEO and Director of Development with making regular phone calls to current and potential donors, partners, and sponsors to set up meetings with supporters and maintain communication.
- Conduct ongoing research and analysis on donor prospects to expand the donor base.
- Manage and log communications, solicitations and other contacts to donor records.
- Monitor and update relationship manager portfolios to ensure ongoing engagement with current and prospective donors.
Donor Database Management (25%):
- Responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Development database including ensuring the accuracy and integrity of data, standard operating procedures and providing end-user training and support.
- Continuously improve and maintain efficient systems for data cleansing, data entry, gift processing, prospect research and relationship management.
- With Finance Assistant, track pledges and monthly gifts to ensure on-time payment.
- Analyze and produce reports on fundraising campaign performance.
- Support with monthly reconciliation between Development and Finance departments.
External Communications and Outreach (20%):
- Draft and review compelling development communications in the form of, but not limited to, proposals, grant applications, development reports, meeting briefs, event packets, and donor correspondence as directed.
- Work closely with Marketing & Communications Manager to develop and manage consistent messaging to prospects, donors and community members.
- Strategically cultivate and leverage relationships with relevant businesses, funding entities, and partners to maximize the impact of Reality Changers’ brand, efforts, and impact in the community.
- Connect with community partners to follow up on leads; assist with planning and coordination of outreach events and community networking opportunities.
- Attend/represent Reality Changers at community and donor-related meetings and events.
General Administration (5%):
- Support various tasks and projects in the organization’s effort to raise $2 million.
- Stay current on the latest technology and features of databases as well as other data systems.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Exceptional organization skills and dedication to detail, with experience managing multiple deadlines and complex assignments.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; effectively presents information and responds to questions from prospective supporters, partners, and other external stakeholders.
- Ability to relate well and network with many types of people, from students to public officials.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team.
- Excellent follow-through on tasks and projects; the ability to effectively “manage up” to multiple team members.
- Must be highly adaptive, versatile, and responsible, even when confronted with ambiguity.
- Desire and ability to learn new tools and technologies needed to maximize efficiency and quality.
- Must exemplify commitment to Reality Changers’ mission and values.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university is required.
- Three or more years of fundraising experience with demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Demonstrated success in building rapport with and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and email systems is required.
- Experience with a fundraising database is required; Salesforce is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to and from Reality Changers’ locations and related events.
Travel and Hours
- Regular weekend and evening work will be expected, especially in November/December and leading up to events.
- Occasional travel will be expected.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
Due to COVID-19, Reality Changers employees are primarily working from home. Office and meeting space is available on a limited basis until further notice.
This job requires the ability to sit, use hands and arms to perform repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. It requires moderate dexterity application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand-eye coordination, etc.) and the ability to bend or stand as necessary.
To apply, please submit a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and one fundraising sample (examples: donor email, prospect report, proposal etc.) to Dawn@realitychangers.org. The deadline to apply is July 18th. Anticipated start date is in late August 2021.
Position range: $50,000 - $60,000 annually. Benefits for this position include a 403(b) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, paid holidays and vacation, and a variety of professional development opportunities at no cost to our staff.
- No phone calls
- Relocation is not available
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check
Reality Changers is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, please visit www.realitychangers.org.