BLCI seeks an individual that is committed to closing the educational achievement gap, creating change in education and interested in rapidly expanding BLCI’s impact. BLCI offers employees an opportunity to fundamentally change families, transform communities, and influence policy. Working at BLCI is an opportunity to shape our organizational growth and be part of an unprecedented social justice movement.
Barrio Logan College Institute has an excellent opportunity for a Development Manager. This position is responsible for working with the Development Team, to include but not limited to the Chief Philanthropy Officer, Development Specialist, Development Committee, and Board of Directors, to support revenue growth. This position will focus on driving revenue through fundraising events, individual and corporate support, communications and support the overall operations of the team, with a focus on strategically expanding our corporate support, as well as bringing in new revenue streams to advance our mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing peer-to-peer giving, corporate support, year-end appeal, donor stewardship events, special events, alumni support and more.
- Support the growth and management of corporate support, and the individual giving program to include, monthly giving, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
- Manage consistent messaging to our supporters through social media outlets, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Strategically cultivate and leverage relationships with relevant businesses, funding entities and partners to maximize BLCI’s impact in the community.
- Connect with community partners to follow up on leads; assist with planning and coordination of outreach events, lunch and learns, and community networking events.
- Support the CPO/ CEO with making regular phone calls to current and potential donors, partners and sponsors.
- Provide weekly/ monthly reports to Chief Philanthropic Officer measuring progress towards achieving the fundraising plan.
- Support various tasks and projects in the organizations effort to meet goals of raising the annual budget.
- Supporting the planning and execution of a variety of events, which will appeal to both current and potential donors.
- Manage communications through social media channels, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Be an organizational team player with a willingness to occasionally perform other tasks outside of scope of work, as assigned, in alignment with the needs of the overall organization and the skill set of the individual holding the position particularly during times of staff vacancies.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 3 years of fundraising experience with demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Experience utilizing social media, including, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to work in a team environment and the ability to work cooperatively with others to leverage resources to achieve common goals.
- Knowledge of and skill in report preparation, proofreading and attention to detail.
- Must be knowledgeable of internet research, web-based communication platforms.
- Proficient or Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, Publisher, Word, PowerPoint and the Outlook 365 emailing platform.
- Ability to build rapport with professional staff and other stakeholders.
- Experience in event planning, organizing, consultation and event management preferred. Proficient in using web conferencing software (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Experience working with DonorPerfect, Fundraise Up, or another CRM preferred.
- Knowledge of email marketing basics
- Proficient in Microsoft SharePoint system
- Proven ability to respond quickly to changing ideas, responsibilities, expectations, strategies, and other processes at work.
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance and reliable transportation.
- Proven background and willingness to work in an atmosphere requiring flexibility and change.
- Ability to be diplomatic, self-motivated, resourceful, tactful, and flexible.
- Maintaining a high level of service by responding to customer inquiries both internally and externally in a knowledgeable and timely manner.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Development team.
- Working independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects.
- Meeting regularly with Chief Philanthropy Officer, Development Specialist and volunteers to maintain open lines of communication to ensure objectives are being achieved.
- Ability to perform tasks with efficiency, high quality, and timeliness.
- Actively practices patience and flexibility.
- Fosters a “staff first” attitude.
- Has superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Communicates and relates effectively with a diverse student/parent/prospective donor/community partner population in person and via phone or e-mail.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently or in a team, take initiative, and make appropriate work-related decisions.
- Ability to focus, organize, set and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Demonstrates excellent active listening skills and strong attention to detail.
- Understands and is sensitive to the needs of BLCI’s diverse student population, including immigrant and undocumented students and families.
- Exhibits high standards of ethics and accountability.
- Communicates effectively with supervisor (accepts feedback, addresses concerns, and remains professional).
- Maintains professionalism in the community.
- Has outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills.
Essential Job Functions & Working Conditions:
- Employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to stand, sit and walk for long periods of time. Accommodations can be arranged if needed.
- Participation in certain activities may require light to moderate movement.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment varies.
Salary and Compensation:
- $45,000 - $50,000 depending on experience
Terms of Employment:
- Medical, Dental and vision plan for employees
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 15 paid holidays
- Retirement and retirement contribution match
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- FLSA status: Non-exempt
- Successfully pass criminal background check and driving record report required.
- Successful completion of 90-day probation period.
- Working hours vary including some evening and weekends. Must be available for evening and weekend events.
- Barrio Logan College Institute, 2114 National Ave. San Diego, CA 92113
- Events around San Diego as needed.
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume to Teresa Contreras, Chief Philanthropy Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all inquiries via email.
Barrio Logan College Institute is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.