The Arc of San Diego is the largest, most comprehensive provider of services to children and adults with disabilities in San Diego County.
We are a diverse team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about serving and empowering children and adults to live their most fulfilling and independent lives.
We live by our Person First, Person Centered value system to create meaningful days for our clients and each other. In hiring, we look for candidates that are a strong addition to our culture, as well as bring the talent and experience required by the position. We offer a positive, team-oriented work environment with opportunity for professional growth and continuous learning, and the chance to make an impact on someone’s life in a meaningful way.
We are currently hiring Direct Support Professionals to join our team. You will be teaching people with intellectual and developmental disabilities new skills and improving their independence.
Who you are:
- Believe in empowering individuals in living their most independent lives
- Are flexible and adaptable to different situations
- Have an educator mindset
- Take pride in being a reliable and inclusive member of a team
A typical day will include:
Providing culturally appropriate direct support to individuals using person-centered approaches and strategies including:
- Support and motivation to reach individual goals and objectives
- Engage and facilitate meaningful activities that cater to the person’s individual interest, preferences, and choices; teaching as necessary
- Assists daily living skills including in the areas of grooming, hygiene, toileting, feeding and mobility
- Provides medications as necessary
Completion of electronic documentation prior to end of shifts
What you’ll need to be successful:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Valid CA Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Immediate access to vehicle with working seatbelts to transport participants
- Comfort driving a full size van with multiple passengers
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and move up to 75 lbs
- High comfort in using multiple computer /mobile device programs
We’d love it if you:
- Had 6 or more months of prior hands-on experience with persons with intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Are multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Tagalog)
- Have experience with electronic case management systems (Therap)
- Have experience with individual service plans (goal development)
The Arc of San Diego is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We have a strict policy against harassment and retaliation of any type and are dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.
Our goal is to provide a work environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation as well as other disrespectful or other unprofessional conduct based on any protected class: race (including natural hairstyles), color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, age (40 and over), medical condition, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex (including sexual harassment, sex stereotypes and pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information/ characteristics, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic or activity protected by law.
We also prohibit discrimination, harassment, retaliation, disrespectful or unprofessional conduct based on the perception that anyone has any of the above characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived to have any of those characteristics.
The Arc of San Diego is a federal subcontractor and shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The Arc of San Diego will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified candidates with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If candidates need assistance to perform their job duties because of a physical or mental condition, they should contact the Head of Human Resources.