Catalyst of San Diego & Imperial Counties is a network of funders who are working to build an equitable, impactful, and collaborative social change ecosystem that improves the lives of all residents in California’s Southern Border region. With more than 40 years of history as a nonprofit, we bring more than 150 funders together to learn, lead, and invest in addressing our region’s most pressing issues, and we do it all with equity squarely at the center of our work.
While our geographical footprint is distinctly local, together with our partners SoCal Grantmakers and Northern California Grantmakers we form Philanthropy California, a unified statewide voice for the philanthropic sector. Want to work with funders of all sizes to influence equitable funding practices in our region? Join our dynamic team.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Communications and Marketing Director is a newly formed role that will be responsible for driving broader awareness and support for our mission as our vice president of communications and impact transitions to a strategic advisor role. The Director is a dynamic and experienced communication generalist who likes to work from strategy to implementation and leverage all the tools in the communications toolbox. We take pride in the culture we have built at Catalyst and we’re looking for a person with an indelible spirit, positive attitude, and curious mind. The Communications and Marketing Director supports the leadership team and the broader staff in planning, creating, and implementing external communications. The Director seeks to expand Catalyst’s brand awareness and voice through written and visual content, social media engagement, website maintenance and expansion, newsletters, creation and implementation of new promotional outreach programs, and all the other many ways storytelling can come to life.
Reports directly to the president and CEO - We are a small team in a very flat organization.
- Develop and implement Catalyst’s communications and marketing strategy including website, social media, newsletters, writing of brochures, and media relations on both a local and national scale.
- Develop and maintain website content plan including all content, graphics, statistics, and links on a weekly basis - execution support from our impact and engagement manager.
- Work with program staff to help develop targeted marketing campaigns for more than 100 annual events.
- Prepare metrics reports on social media and enews reach and growth.
- Work with all staff to create press releases, develop and produce educational content, design print advertising and other forms of external communication, and identify professional organizations and media connections to promote the organization.
- Attend and participate in Catalyst events to grow your personal expertise and knowledge in the field.
- Arrange for photography and video of program events for the use in marketing and communication.
- Create informative, engaging, and inspiring messages that share the story of philanthropy in our region.
- Maintain our repository of photos and videos.
- Analyze and grow engagement and presence on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Oversee social media execution across channels.
Additional Requirements and Ideal Experience:
- A solid history of marketing and communication experience with robust knowledge of trends in the nonprofit sector
- Tech proficiency, ideally with WordPress, Slack, Asana, Salesforce, Canva or other light design experience
- A natural connector: Someone constantly seeking out the story on the horizon, who is energized by the day to day work of bringing a brand to life
- Experience in brand management, online communications, and social media
- Excellent storytelling, writing, editing, and proofreading skills; able to write in a variety of formats, including press releases, ad copy, long-form editorial, social media, and presentations
- The ability to translate the jargon of the social sector into stories you’d actually want to read yourself
- The ability to understand design concepts and do the pinch hitting work of designing (we love Canva!)
- Clear understanding of equitable communications practices and asset framing
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Sense of humor
- Values aligned. (No, really.) We are proud of our culture and we live our values - please carefully review and make sure we’re the people for you!
Other Things To Know About Us Before You Decide to Join Us
Our 2021 All Employee Survey results indicated that:
- Employee confidence in leadership is extraordinarily high, with 100 percent of respondents “strongly agreeing” that they have confidence in our current President & CEO, and 100 percent agreeing or strongly agreeing that they have confidence in our Board.
- Diversity is valued at Catalyst, and 100 percent of employees believe that diversity is valued and that senior leadership understands that diversity is critical to our future success. Eighty five percent of respondents believe that senior leadership (those with people management responsibilities) understands and acknowledges race-based power differentials.
- Catalyst is a place people want to work at and feel very supported, with 100 percent of employees agreeing or strongly agreeing that they: feel supported in their career growth, see a future for themselves at Catalyst, are fulfilled in their job, and would recommend Catalyst as a great place to work.
- Catalyst fosters a highly inclusive environment among employees. One hundred percent of employees agree or strongly agree that their unique background and identity are valued, that they feel respected by colleagues, that they feel a sense of belonging, that their opinion is valued, and that they can voice a contrary opinion without fear of negative consequence.
- Catalyst fosters an environment of mental and physical well-being. One hundred percent of staff strongly agree that they can ask for what they need to be well mentally and physically without fear of repercussions. One hundred percent of staff agree or strongly agree that they feel supported to maintain their well-being.
- Catalyst has an opportunity to improve employee policies and procedures. While satisfaction with benefits is very high, reflection on the dated language in our Employee Manual and a lack in understanding in how one advances their career (with 70 percent of employees disagreeing that the process is transparent) provide opportunities for improved communication and for official language (via manuals, etc.) that better reflects our organizational culture and norms.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time non-exempt position with a salary of $60,000-75,000. Catalyst offers a generous benefits package that includes approximately 10 vacation days plus office closure December 24-January 1; 40 hours sick time accrued per year; health (medical/dental/vision) insurance valued at $600/month and cash in lieu of this benefit if it is not used fully; health savings account; retirement (403b) contribution of 5% of salary independent of employee contribution; flexible work hours and location.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also include a resume and examples of your work or portfolio as you see fit. We will review and interview candidates on a rolling basis.
If you have a specific question about this role that is not addressed in the job description, please address them to email@example.com and we will do our best to respond in a timely manner. While we appreciate your enthusiasm, please do not reach out simply to alert us to your interest.
Catalyst of San Diego & Imperial Counties values a staff that includes perspectives from the diverse population of our region and the organization provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military.