Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Director of Accounting will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Director of Accounting will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committees and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Director of Accounting will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $40 million and supervise a team of 16 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The Director of Accounting will ensure that Father Joe’s Villages has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Director of Accounting will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
In addition, she or he will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. Candidate will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and multiple entities.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Father Joe’s Villages financial status.
- Assist Father Joe’s Villages leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grants and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the CFO; continuously collaborate with program managers to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Father Joe’s Villages mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, the
responsibility for finance.
- Minimum of a BA in Accounting, Business, or related field; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- At least 8 years solid accounting experience to include: accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, financial statement preparation, accounting for investments, coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, and budget development and analysis
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of MS Office, accounting and reporting software
- At least 5 years of leadership experience and a commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse, engaged, and accountable team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Experience with NetSuite financial software preferred
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partner
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of essential functions and job requirements that are required of the employee for this job. The essential functions and job requirements may change at any time with or without notice. An employee’s electronic approval constitutes an understanding of the essential functions and job requirements of the position.