Director of People Operations
San Diego, CA
The Director of People Operations will develop the business and people strategies to advance our mission, help to create a great workplace culture, and own the full lifecycle of our people. The Director will lead all HR elements for Reality Changers and manage day-to-day employee-facing activities to ensure the organization runs efficiently and effectively. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to: HR/HRIS operations, recruitment and hiring, learning and development, total rewards, employee relations, compliance, and administration.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about building great teams, leveraging technology, and developing solutions to ensure that we deliver a one-of-a-kind employee experience. This person will possess a strong operational and process mindset, as well as the ability to scale HR policies, practices, and programs through organizational growth over the next five years.
Benchmarks / Goals / Measures of Success:
- Enhance HR programs, systems, and policies related to compensation and benefits, talent planning and acquisition, employee relations, compliance, data and analytics
- Manage internal communications and office administration to ensure staff have the resources and information needed to perform and thrive
- Partner with internal management across the organization to facilitate employee performance, training and development
The Director will report to the Vice President of Operations and engage regularly with the CEO to achieve and enhance HR / people operations. The position sits on the organization’s leadership team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1) People Operations/HR
- Manage talent acquisition processes, including recruiting, candidate screening, orientation and onboarding, and tracking and reporting.
- Manage and enhance compensation and benefits plans; conduct external benchmarking and analysis to ensure total rewards are competitive and well-suited to organization’s strategic goals, budget, and needs.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll and in a manner consistent with federal and state laws; enter updates for new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Administer employee benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement, etc.) and work with external partners for escalated support needs and annual benefits review.
- Design and communicate all employee policies and procedures via employee handbook, operational guidelines, documents and/or online platforms.
- Partner with internal management to maintain current job requirements and job descriptions for all positions and maintain up-to-date employee files and records.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; apply this knowledge to advise CEO and internal management.
2) Employee Performance & Engagement
- Lead the internal performance management program and implement the structure, technology, and training necessary to continually enhance the review process and ensure effectiveness and equity within the organization.
- Partner with the leadership team to coach and develop new managers; collaborate on measures that support individual and team performance goals.
- Oversee organizational diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and monitor progress against targets.
- Facilitate employee engagement and retention by implementing employee programs and activities that create community and a sense of belonging for both site-based and remote employees.
- Manage internal communications (e.g. staff newsletter, internal meetings) and partner with internal management to implement a learning management system.
- Manage compliance training (harassment, emergency & safety, etc.) for all employees.
- Implement regular surveys and other feedback tools to assess staff needs and adapt new approaches to support the professional development of our people.
3) Management & Administration
- Serve as the primary point of contact for employees’ inquiries and day-to-day workplace needs.
- Act as liaison with facility staff and security for administration of access, ID cards, office equipment, laptops, name badges, etc.
- Work with operations staff to utilize technology to make internal processes and information sharing more efficient.
- Partner with development staff on relevant grant application preparation and source relevant data and information for grant writing and fundraising needs.
- With the VP of Operations and Volunteer & Outreach Manager, coordinate the performance of background check / live scan fingerprinting in compliance with DOJ guidelines and respond to employment verifications and reference requests as needed.
- Manage organizational calendar for all employee-related activities--keeping an eye out for automation opportunities and other ways to keep our people informed and engaged.
- Manage people operations budget with support from the VP of Operations.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education & Experience
- A minimum of five years of professional experience is required, with at least 3-5 years of progressive experience in people-focused roles (e.g. People Ops, HRBP, human resources, organizational development).
- At least 3 years of experience managing and leading a team is required.
- Proven track record of success in implementing programs that attract and retain a high-performing, diverse and engaged workforce.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university is required; a master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. human resources, business administration, nonprofit management) is a plus.
- PHR/SHRM-CP certification is highly preferred.
- Experience working with hybrid work environments and/or remote employees is preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated functional expertise across all areas of people operations and administration.
- High level of business acumen and proven effectiveness as an advisor working directly with leadership to provide alignment of HR function with organizational strategy.
- Well-versed on federal and state employment laws and compliance in order to ensure the business is set up for success.
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills; ability to be articulate and persuasive while able to listen and incorporate the perspectives of others.
- Highly efficient when managing a high volume of diverse tasks and projects; a self-starter.
- An ability to easily build trust-based relationships with employees at all levels/units across the organization; passionate about helping others develop and become their best selves.
- Possess a strong moral and ethical compass and handles confidential matters with discretion.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office, G Suite, Zoom, email systems, HRIS and recruitment platforms (e.g. job sites, LinkedIn). Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Exemplifies commitment to Reality Changers’ mission and values.
Travel and Hours
- Occasional travel will be expected.
- Occasional weekend and evening work will be expected.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. Due to COVID-19, Reality Changers employees are currently operating in a hybrid model---working in-person from the office and/or remotely from home. Office and meeting space is available on a limited basis in accordance with public health recommendations.
This job requires the ability to sit, use hands and arms to perform repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. It requires moderate dexterity, application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand-eye coordination, etc.) and the ability to bend or stand as necessary.
Position range: This position is full-time, exempt, with a salary range of $75,000 - $85,000 annually. Benefits for this position include a 403(b) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, paid holidays and vacation.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Reality Changers’ focus and mission
- Current resume
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as early as possible as interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. The start date will be soon after an employment offer is made.
Reality Changers serves first-generation youth from low-income backgrounds and from groups who are traditionally under-represented on college campuses---such as Black, Latinx, Indigenous, LGBT+, Immigrant and/or Undocumented communities. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities and/or backgrounds.