The mission of Ocean Connectors is to educate, inspire, and connect youth in underserved Pacific coastal communities through the study of migratory marine life. Ocean Connectors was established in 2007 to address the lack of education, coastal access and awareness which can contribute to environmental degradation. Ocean Connectors is a fiscal sponsorship project of The Ocean Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.
The Ocean Connectors Eco Tour Coordinator will lead all aspects of the Eco Tour program in San Diego County, including providing educational narration during kayaking, boating, and biking tours, planning and developing the tour calendar, customer service and marketing, data tracking and reporting, and maintaining equipment. In partnership with the Development Manager, the Eco Tour Coordinator will also play an integral role in organizational communications (website, social media, and email). This is not a comprehensive list, and additional duties may be added or removed as organizational needs evolve.
The Eco Tour Coordinator is an outgoing and effective communicator, skilled in educational interpretation and outdoor recreation, with proven leadership skills and an excellent ability to think on their feet. This position requires strong communication skills and strategic thinking to help carry out the mission of the organization, foster relationships with partners and the general public, and build the capacity of the Eco Tour program to maximize tour sales and increase organizational revenue.
Location: San Diego County, California. The majority of work will be performed remotely and/or in the field.
Timeline: This is a full-time position beginning as soon as possible.
Compensation: Starting salary for this position is $37,000, with opportunity for growth based on tour revenue. Mileage and work-related expenses will be reimbursed with prior approval. Ocean Connectors offers a robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, 401k, PTO, and others.
Regularly Scheduled Work Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 8:00am-5:00pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead all Ocean Connectors Eco Tours including kayaking, boating, and biking tours in partnership with established tour operator partners
- Deliver educational and interactive tour narration about San Diego Bay maritime history, natural habitats, and plants and animals
- Work with tour operator partners to develop narration that is complementary to the existing tour
- Deliver clear instructions, answer questions, and encourage guests to follow all procedures
- Uphold the highest level of safety possible for tour participants and respond to any safety issues appropriately
- Distribute and collect equipment and supplies (including but not limited to binoculars, dry bags, helmets, sunscreen, field guides, life jackets, etc.) and ensure proper fit and function
- Contribute to the development of new tour activities for current and future programs
Planning and Developing the Tour Calendar
- Develop tour calendar to meet goals and objectives for upcoming year (20-30 tours per year)
- Communicate with tour operator partners to schedule and make all arrangements for tours
- Basic monitoring of weather forecast, wind, swell, and tides to determine appropriate site conditions
- Submit paperwork for permitting and insurance requirements in accordance with local regulations and funder agreements
- Conduct all tour preparations, including organizing and transporting supplies, inspections of field equipment, and site setup
- Ensure guests have completed all necessary paperwork prior to tour start, including signed liability/appearance release forms
- Work collaboratively with tour operator partners to promote sustainable wildlife conservation philosophies and to minimize disturbance to natural habitats
- Communicate with Ocean Connectors staff and volunteers to obtain support with tours
- Arrange guest transportation in Ocean Connectors van as needed
- Update tour procedural documents, policies, and educational curricula as needed
Customer Service and Marketing
- Manage all aspects of tour booking process, including processing guest payments, preparing invoices/receipts, issuing gift certificates, and tour follow-up
- Communicate with guests through a variety of ways, including emails and phone calls, to answer questions and ensure participants are fully informed and prepared for tour activities
- Cancel, reschedule and process guest refunds and rainchecks as needed
- Utilize various marketing channels (such as social media, website, email, phone, radio, events, and other methods) to sell tours
- Post tours as Facebook events, monitor engagement, and respond to comments
- Coordinate design, printing, and distribution of tour promotional materials, coupons, and flyers
- Appropriately recognize tour operator partners in marketing materials and provide partners with an opportunity to review and approve materials in advance
- Promote lunches, induced donations, and merchandise sales to maximize tour revenue
- Attend outreach events around San Diego County to promote tours and assist other staff with public communications
- Monitor online public profile pages and ratings, including Yelp, LinkedIn, TripAdvisor, etc.
Data Tracking and Reporting
- Perform data collection to document program impacts, including number of guests, wildlife observed, site conditions, testimonials, profit/loss information, and other relevant information
- Work with photographers, media, and Ocean Connectors staff to photo-document tours
- Synthesize data and conduct analysis to assist with Ocean Connectors funding applications, reports, meetings, and special events/fundraisers
- Prepare tour equipment and supplies, and ensure materials are kept orderly and clean in the Ocean Connectors storage unit
- Perform equipment inspection and sanitization immediately following each tour
- Monitor the quality and condition of equipment provided by partners to ensure it is functional and suitable for use
- Monitor van service history and provide support with van upkeep, maintenance, and cleaning
- Update merchandise inventory list following tours, and reorder supplies as needed
- Monitor and re-fill first aid kits as necessary
- Play an integral role in overall organizational communications including but not limited to:
- Develop social media content and post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Create and continually update content on the Ocean Connectors website, including but not limited to online events calendar, blogs and store
- Manage MailChimp email platform and write content for electronic communications
- Work with Development Manager to develop and achieve fundraising goals
- Provide analysis and reports of marketing communications activities as needed, including a quarterly report to be shared at Advisory Board meetings
Ocean Connectors has a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and seeks diverse candidates for this role. The most competitive applicants will have the following skills and characteristics:
- Strong commitment to the Ocean Connectors mission and vision
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Environmental Studies, Outdoor Education, Sustainability, Tourism Management, or other field related to recreation or the environment
- Minimum of two years experience with educational interpretation and/or outdoor recreation
- Field related certifications such as First Aid/CPR, Wilderness First Aid, Lifeguard Certification, Interpretive Guide Certification, etc.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement
- Reliable transportation; ability and willingness to travel and transport supplies
- Effective communication skills for diverse audiences, including strong writing, public speaking, and group management skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to address challenges out in the field
- Proven leadership skills, including proactivity and taking ownership for programs
- Appropriate physical condition to be very active, work outdoors, stand and walk for long periods of time, and frequently lift and carry heavy items weighing approximately 25-40 pounds, and/or work in pairs when lifting and carrying heavy items
Due to the nature of this position working directly with the general public, applicant will undergo background check and will be asked to show proof of recent Tuberculosis test and COVID-19 vaccination as a final step in the hiring process.
Apply through Indeed.com by August 5, 2021.