Reporting to the Director of Experience Design, the Exhibition Designer will be responsible for the production of schematic, conceptual and final design CAD drawings that support the content and messaging of visitor centered exhibitions. The Exhibition Designer also works closely with staff in Exhibits and Marketing to generate and present graphics as the lead for exhibit graphics design. This individual will also coordinate and support exhibit fabrication, installation and remedial work.
- Supports the Director of Experience Design in strategic and vision activities in collaboration with Exhibits staff to help determine and evaluate exhibit themes, target audiences, and planned location of exhibits.
- Act as lead designer on exhibition graphics, work with the Content Developer and Marketing Department to design and produce delegated exhibition graphics.
- Work with the Exhibit Content Developer to generate and evaluate designs in support of the exhibition content, main ideas, messaging, and stories.
- Oversee and communicate the production schedule for exhibit elements, graphics, and the exhibit installation.
- Prepare conceptual, schematic and final drawings for future exhibits, working closely with the Exhibits Team to determine general look and feel, materials and finishes through to detailed construction drawings.
- Design exhibition floor plans, furniture, components, and interactives in compliance with ADA and building code best practices.
- Produce 3D renderings and scale models to be used as collaborative spatial planning tools to help provide a common vision to guide final designs.
- Create deliverables for presentations to exhibitions team, Executive Management, and other project stakeholders.
- Work with the Director of Experience Design, Exhibits Fabricator, and Exhibit Project Coordinator to develop and manage exhibition budgets, installation schedules, and tracking project progress.
- Produce detailed dimensioned drawings for individual exhibit components such as exhibit display cases, interactives and themed elements.
- Work closely with the Exhibit Fabricator to determine best materials and methods of fabrication and prototypes.
- Help procure materials and coordinate work with outside vendors and contractors for exhibitions.
- Work with the Exhibit Maintenance Technician to resolve and implement remedial & maintenance modifications to exhibit elements.
- Oversee and participate in the installation of exhibitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of exhibition development, design, fabrication, and installation best practices.
- Broad set of design skills to select exhibit color palettes, furniture, materials and finishes
- Ability to produce both 2-D and 3-D computer rendered architectural drawings, floorplans, drawings, scale models and full-size mockups.
- Experience working with and helping produce component spreadsheets and installation schedules.
- Working knowledge of office computer software including in-Design, Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchUp, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects in a collaborative environment with tight timelines.
- Have a positive attitude and collaborate with the rest of the Museum team and its partners.
- College degree and two or more years of museum exhibit work experience; or four years of equivalent experience.
- Bi-lingual (desired).
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that highlights your relevant experience to email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin on August 9, 2021.
Rate: $21 per hour (non-exempt)