Reporting to the Director of Experience Design, the Exhibition Technician is a temporary position (December 2021 through April 2022) that will support preparation, fabrication and installation for exhibitions at the San Diego Natural History Museum, including a new exhibit focusing on the Baja California Peninsula. The position will work closely with all members of the exhibits team and other departments as needed.
- Prepare gallery spaces for new exhibitions by safe and careful removal of old exhibit elements and temporary partition walls.
- Prepare wall surfaces and paint gallery walls. Repair or replace baseboards and restore flooring as needed.
- Help fabricate, install and paint new temporary gallery partition walls and other large exhibition architectural features.
- Fabricate, assemble and install a wide variety of individual exhibit components such as pedestals, display decks, dioramas, exhibit cases and interactive exhibits.
- Work closely with the exhibits team to help fabricate exhibit elements including realistic sculpted models and other larger thematic props.
- Be able to help securely install floor, wall or ceiling mounted objects utilizing a wide variety of hardware and tools.
- Safely load and unload deliveries of exhibit materials from trucks at Museum loading dock or help deliver or retrieve items from storage at the Museum’s offsite warehouse.
- Occasionally help with general exhibit projects and maintenance in existing exhibition galleries.
- Work with Exhibits staff to resolve and implement remedial & maintenance modifications to exhibit elements.
- Oversee and participate in the installation of exhibitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven experience with Museum or Gallery exhibits fabrication and installation including object handling and mounting techniques.
- Working knowledge of safe power tool operation and work place safety procedures.
- General computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
- Be capable of long periods of physical work occasionally lifting up to 50lbs and ability to perform work from ladders and or scissor lift platform.
- Have a current California driver’s license, clean driving record and the ability (or willingness to be trained) to operate a scissor lift work platform.
- Be self-motivated and able to work collaboratively.
- In compliance with the San Diego Natural History Museum’s mandatory vaccination policy, the Museum requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accommodations based on medical and religious exemptions will be considered.
Employees enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that highlights your relevant experience to Human Resources (email@example.com). Review of resumes will begin on December 10, 2021.