Reporting to the Director of Experience Design, the Exhibition Technician is a temporary position (October 2021 through April 2022) that will support preparation, fabrication and installation for exhibitions at the San Diego Natural History Museum, including a new exhibit focusing on the Baja California Peninsula. The position will work closely with all members of the exhibits team and other departments as needed.
- Prepare gallery spaces for new exhibitions by safe and careful removal of old exhibit elements and temporary partition walls.
- Prepare wall surfaces and paint gallery walls. Repair or replace baseboards and restore flooring as needed.
- Help fabricate, install and paint new temporary gallery partition walls and other large exhibition architectural features.
- Fabricate, assemble and install a wide variety of individual exhibit components such as pedestals, display decks, dioramas, exhibit cases and interactive exhibits.
- Work closely with the exhibits team to help fabricate exhibit elements including realistic sculpted models and other larger thematic props.
- Be able to help securely install floor, wall or ceiling mounted objects utilizing a wide variety of hardware and tools.
- Safely load and unload deliveries of exhibit materials from trucks at Museum loading dock or help deliver or retrieve items from storage at the Museum’s offsite warehouse.
- Occasionally help with general exhibit projects and maintenance in existing exhibition galleries.
- Work with Exhibits staff to resolve and implement remedial & maintenance modifications to exhibit elements.
- Oversee and participate in the installation of exhibitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven experience with Museum or Gallery exhibits fabrication and installation including object handling and mounting techniques.
- Working knowledge of safe power tool operation and work place safety procedures.
- General computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office software.
- Be capable of long periods of physical work occasionally lifting up to 50lbs and ability to perform work from ladders and or scissor lift platform.
- Have a current California driver’s license, clean driving record and the ability (or willingness to be trained) to operate a scissor lift work platform.
- Be self-motivated and able to work collaboratively.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that highlights your relevant experience to Ingrid Garcia, Sr. Director of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of resumes will begin on September 10, 2021.