The San Diego LGBT Community Center is seeking an experienced grant writing professional with a documented record of success to expand institutional fundraising efforts. The applicant will possess a deep commitment to the LGBTQ community and demonstrated ability to execute a multi-year, multi-million-dollar development plan focused on grants. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position will be responsible for securing grants from corporations, foundations, and government agencies that support The Center's mission and work.
PRIMARY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a deep understanding of The Center's programming to ensure integrity and quality of proposal writing;
- Lead proposal generation process including, coordinating with key staff to produce and submit compelling, high-quality proposals;
- Ensure that grant proposal and reporting deadlines are met;
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare budgets and other financial documents required for grant proposals and reports;
- Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer to develop material to support grant proposals and reports;
- Meet proposal deadline by establishing and adhering to target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal;
- Maintain electronic grant files, grant revenue spreadsheet, and proposal support database that includes templates and current data to include in proposals;
- Ensure effective working relationships with grantor Program Officers;
- Research new grant opportunities and prepare research briefs;
- Keep updated on Center campaigns and needs through attendance at staff meetings and individual communications with key staff;
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; and
- Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education and/or Experience: A bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Media or related field is required. Related experience can be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis. Must have at least three years' experience in grant writing, prospect research, general fundraising with a demonstrated track record of success for government, private, and corporate funders in organizations with $3 million budgets or more.
- Computer/Office Equipment Skills: Must be comfortable working in PC/Windows-based environments. Must have proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook and Excel. Must have general database management skills. Experience with grants.gov and eRA Commons preferred.
- Other Skills: Must be a highly skilled writer, ability to write for government, foundation and corporate audiences; must be a conceptual, strategic thinker; must possess strong professional work ethic and ability to meet deadlines; must work well in multicultural teams and with diverse constituencies; must be self-motivated and highly organized with the ability to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints; must have the ability to identify funding opportunities for emerging programs; must have demonstrated attention to detail, organization, reliability, flexibility and professionalism.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Please note: We are unable to accept any phone or walk-in inquiries for this position.
The San Diego LGBT Community Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.