Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) is looking for a Health Navigator who will work under limited supervision to provide direct and indirect patient services to support linkage and maintenance in care, including completion of internal and external referrals, for the assigned program(s). Duties may vary depending on specific assignment, but in addition to direct patient interaction, may include patient quality improvement projects, improving retention in healthcare, or other health areas. Collaborates with a multi-disciplinary team and deals with a diverse group of customers, patients, and visitors, as well as, internal contacts at all levels of the organization. May have assigned caseload of clients. Engages in team approach to client care, and may coach, mentor, or lead teammates on special projects.
- Acts as a liaison between internal and external customers, including patients, other FHCSD service staff and other service providers, for the purpose of improving patient/client quality of care and flow.
- Completes all required documentation accurately, in a timely manner, and thoroughly in accordance with department standards; in addition, documentation complies with all grant funder and patients' insurance requirements Works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare and departmental program on retention in care, appointment completion and identifying barriers to care (i.e.: QI Projects, Case Reviews).
- Engages in patient interactions via telephone and in person to identify and meet patient needs, including provision of assisted and unassisted referrals, resources and follow-up; depending on patients presenting needs.
- Performs general clinical tasks, as assigned, which may include filing, processing paperwork, data entry, scanning/photocopying, agenda creation and minutes, encounter reports, scheduling and similar tasks.
- Uses discretion during all interactions to answer both routine and complicated questions; forwards issues to appropriate person. Handles confidential and routine information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in social work, public health, science, or other related degree preferred.
- 2 years of experience with health education or working in the medical/health related field
- Specific Certifications may be required or preferred depending on assignment (ie:, CA HIV Test Counselor, limited CPT certification for waived testing, etc.)
- Culturally sensitive
- Substance abuse experience - AOD, Treatment programs
- Case Managemet experience - 1:1 with patients
- Outreach worker
- Meet organizational driver requirements.
- Job type: Regular Full Time
- Competitive Salary with Excellent Benefits
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Paid Time Off, Extended Sick Leave and Paid Holidays
- Medical/Dental/Vision/FSA/Life Insurance
- Employee Discounts and Wellness Programs
FHCSD was founded by community activists working towards a common goal: caring, affordable, high-quality medical care for all. We are proud to continue this mission today as we provide accessible services to over 210,000 patients across San Diego County. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to community medicine and providing culturally competent care to the medically underserved.