Lead Visitor Experience Associate
Who We Are
Founded in 1978, Mingei International Museum collects, preserves and exhibits “art of the world, art of the people,” including folk art, craft and design from all eras and cultures. Located in San Diego’s iconic Balboa Park, this highly respected Museum offers stunning exhibitions and diverse educational programs to more than 100,000 visitors each year. The Museum is a nonprofit organization.
Mingei has a deep commitment to creating a space where people are inspired to see their own world through new eyes and, in turn, rediscover, embrace and nurture their own creativity. The Museum is close to completing a comprehensive, $55M building renovation to fulfill this mission in meaningful new ways. The transformed Mingei will be a place where all are welcome, where the community can gather, and where individuals can rest and find creative inspiration — all in the heart of Balboa Park. To learn more, please visit here.
At Mingei we strive to offer a memorable and meaningful experience to our audience, and this is only possible with the hard work and dedication of a passionate and creative team. Our commitment to equity, inclusion and accessibility is reflected in the work we do. As an organization that champions “art of the people,” our goal is for the Museum’s staff, board, volunteers and audience to represent diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity and national origin.
This position reports directly to Visitor Experience Assistant Manager and Shop Mingei Assistant Manager. The Visitor Experience Associate (VE Associate) serves as the front-line staff and main point of contact for Museum visitors, members and colleagues. Cross-trained in three areas—visitor orientation and ticketing, in-gallery experience and the store—Associates will play an active role in creating the Museum’s new Visitor Experience program in a beautiful, new setting!
VE Associates help create a museum experience that is welcoming, accessible and memorable. As ambassadors of the Museum’s high standards of hospitality, they are knowledgeable and passionate about Mingei’s mission, collection and exhibitions, store products and events.
This position is open until June 27 and will include some weekend and evening shifts.
- Provide radical hospitality to every Museum guest, ensuring visitors are warmly greeted and engaged during their visit.
- Engage customers’ and visitors’ interest in the Museum and store to promote merchandise, ticket and membership sales.
- Stay informed on all aspects of Museum exhibitions and events, providing orientation and information to guests.
- Assist with wayfinding, exhibition information and communicate core messages and Museum mission in engaging ways to visitors and potential visitors.
- Perform opening and closing duties, including preparing daily VE staff briefs and closing cash drawers.
- Assist Visitor Experience Assistant Manager with attendance and database tracking and reporting.
- Regularly interact and communicate with security staff, docents, volunteers, visitors and special guests.
- Work closely with the Membership Department to promote and sell Museum memberships and ensure accurate data entry in our database.
- Handle sales, point of sale operations, admission records, and daily deposits.
- Assist with Museum store upkeep, receiving orders, restocking and organizing back-stock.
- Help with crowd control and flow, safety of exhibition objects and follow loss prevention and security guidelines.
- Collect feedback from guests, passing on to supervisors and other departments as appropriate.
- Take leadership role for other staff when VE Managers are absent.
How You Can Be Excellent in the Job:
- Believe in and be committed to the core values of Mingei International Museum, as well as the mission and vision of the organization.
- Be able to improvise, multitask, and maintain a calm, welcoming presence in a busy environment.
- Be detail-oriented and organized.
- Be familiar and knowledgeable about store merchandise, exhibitions, and general knowledge of folk art, craft and design.
- Attend and participate in Visitor Experience team meetings, All Staff meetings, and ongoing training.
You're a Great Fit for this Job if You:
- Have enthusiastic interpersonal skills and a passion for customer service; sales experience a plus
- Have an interest in craft, folk art and design
- Have basic PC computer skills; point of sale system experience a plus
- Are comfortable handling cash transactions and daily reports using a POS system
- Are available for weekend and evening hours, as needed
- Are comfortable with leading and modeling behavior for other VE staff, or willing to learn; leadership experience a plus
- Proficiency in a language other than English a plus, Spanish preferred
Submit your resume and cover letter by clicking the link: Join our staff as a Lead Visitor Experience Associate | Mingei International Museum