Title: Graphic Design Intern
Reports to: Brand Manager
Status: Part time
Compensation: College credit (unpaid)
Duration: To be determined based on school term
Feeding San Diego’s on a mission to connect every person facing hunger with nutritious meals by maximizing food rescue. We distribute more than 40.3 million meals each year while diverting good food from going into the landfill. We’re protecting people and the planet.
Under the direction of the Brand Manager, the Graphic Design Intern is a key member of the marketing and communications department at Feeding San Diego, helping to maintain brand consistency and creative production across our organization. This role is responsible for designing a variety of print and digital materials, including flyers, signage, digital ad creative, and more, to drive brand awareness, fundraising, and community engagement goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create designs for collateral, signage, merchandise, and more, using Adobe Creative Suite
- Assist with creative production for marketing campaigns and initiatives
- Assist with graphic design for organic social media posts as needed
- Initiate and track collateral and signage orders with external vendors
- Help maintain inventory and disbursement of collateral and signage orders
- Other duties as assigned by the Brand Manager
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must be a current college student with access to college credit as internship compensation, working towards a degree in graphic design, art, or related area of study. Minimum of one year of directly related experience with graphic design proven in digital portfolio. Experience working or volunteering with a mission-based company or nonprofit a plus.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to hunger-relief and Feeding San Diego’s mission; compassion and appreciation for other hunger related issues.
- Proven experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Illustrator required. Photoshop and Acrobat a plus.). Please provide a digital portfolio.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and WordPress.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to work effectively under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to take direction and follow through on tasks with minimal supervision.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
MacBook laptop with Adobe Creative Suite subscription will be provided.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to:
- Work in an office adjacent to a distribution center.
- Sit, stand, walk, bend, and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity, balance and climbing stairs frequently. Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts, carries and balances objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration and analytical thinking.
- Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of office equipment and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but this office is maintained in a distribution center with machinery and large trucks.