The San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park seeks an Archivist to join our outstanding team. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Assists the Director of the Library & Archives in general operations. Responds to research requests and assists in the use of the collection. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment. Expected to uphold the highest ethical standards of a professional archivist in maintaining and protecting the Museum's archival collection. This position may transition to full-time.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the organization, cataloging, storage, preservation, digitization, reproductions, and dissemination of the Museum’s archival collection
- Responds to research requests and duplication requests for photographs, audio/visual materials, drawings, manuals, and other materials, and selects and provides photos and other archival materials for Museum publications, exhibits, website, and special functions
- Tracks statistical information on research requests, collection management and usage, sales, donations, and other operational functions
- Responsible for developing and maintaining Library & Archives inventory databases
- Performs management tasks in the absence of the L&A Director
- Supervises interns and volunteers in accordance with the Museum employee manual
- Promotes stature of the Museum by publishing articles and/or other publications
- Participates in some Museum special functions and may be required to travel by automobile and/or commercial aircraft to perform duties; some public speaking may be required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in the humanities, history, or a field related to aerospace history and/or technology
- MLS or equivalent, with specialized training in archival arrangement and description.
- Minimum of four-year professional experience