The Museum Educator coordinates and facilitates programs utilizing the Museum’s exhibits and collections to ensure that guests, families and school groups have an exceptional experience. We aim to foster curiosity and a love and respect of the natural world. We use an inquiry-based approach while following current science standards. The Museum Educator must represent the San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat) while providing an engaging learning environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Honor and uphold The Nat’s mission statement, policies and expectations.
- Facilitate youth programs including camps, classes, workshops, tours, and drop-in activities.
- Manage both large and small groups of students in a classroom, in museum exhibits, and outdoors.
- Perform daily functions associated with the summer programming (40 hour per week during the month of July).
- Provide a secure, safe, and supportive atmosphere for program participants.
- Organize and conduct innovative educational programs and workshops for museum visitors.
- Prepare and organize program spaces and materials.
- Support and communicate with staff and volunteers.
- Assist with administrative processes to support the effective and efficient flow of programs and department projects, including some documentation and evaluation.
- Participate and assist in the execution of museum and outreach events.
- Cleaning and maintenance of program spaces.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Coursework or degree in education-related field; and/or 1-2 years-experience facilitating youth-based programming. Previous museum experience a plus.
- Experience and interest in working with children and families required.
- Must have knowledge and a passion for environmental science and natural history, as well as a desire to educate children in an engaging way.
- Must be positive and have a friendly, accessible manner to help children and families understand the exhibits and programs in the museum.
- Superior organization skills, strong attention to detail and pro-active problem-solving skills.
- Must have knowledge in creating, facilitating and generating new ideas for educational experiences.
- Must be vigilant about time management.
- Excellent social and communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be flexible, patient, resourceful and accountable
- Up-to-date first aid and CPR certification highly preferred.
- Ability to problem-solve independently and collaborate with others
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of programs, flexibility to learn instructional technology. Promethean a plus.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written form; Spanish language is a plus
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced work environment, as well as being able to work independently and in a team.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of job to include walking, standing, bending, kneeling and lift and move objects.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including occasional weekends.
- Must pass background check and Live Scan screening.