The Tariq Khamisa Foundation (TKF) is a nonprofit organization conducting school-based, youth development services. TKF is hiring a part-time Peace Educator Mentor to create a campus presence that promotes peace, safety, and cooperation at our partner school in Escondido. Mentors are assigned to a specific school campus to conduct interventions that include monitoring of academic achievement, managing classroom behaviors, addressing misconduct incidents, facilitating classroom curriculum, as well as organizing schoolwide recreational and service activities. The mentor will also individually assist a caseload of 12 to 20 at-risk children identified by the school as needing additional attention to manage behaviors. Mentors work closely with school counselors, teachers, and administrators on a daily basis.
TKF Mentors are part-time positions working 20 to 30 hours/week for the duration of the school year. Mentors generally need to be at school sites between 7:30 am and 3:00 pm, based on the school’s schedule. College students are welcome to apply. You will receive extensive training prior to the school placement. Salary starts at $17.50/hour. Position starts mid-November and will be based in Escondido for the remainder of the 2021-22 school year.
Interested applicants can email a resume and one page cover letter to TKF at email@example.com. Please indicate Mentor Position in the subject line. To learn more about the organization, visit www.tkf.org. TKF is an equal opportunity employer.
- High School Graduate or equivalent and minimum of two years of college or higher
- One year of experience working with children as an employee or volunteer
- 18 years of age or older
- Prefer minimum 1-year experience working with children in a school-based setting
- Have tuberculosis test clearance
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with youth ages six and above
- Prefer experience working on school campus or in an educational environment
- Ability to work online through a distance learning portal
- Can mediate and negotiate stressful youth situations
- Can network and support school staff
- Capable of planning and organizing student event and activities
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate at a professional level with TKF, school staff, and community organizations
- Basic computer skills including data entry
- Culturally sensitive
- Bilingual a plus