Resident and Community Organizer Assistant
The San Diego Housing Federation (SDHF) is a San Diego-based nonprofit membership organization that promotes the development of quality affordable homes and community development opportunities for people in need throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1990, SDHF serves as the collective voice of those who support, build, finance, operate, and live in affordable homes in the San Diego region. SDHF achieves its mission through advocacy, resident engagement, coalition-building, public education, and capacity building within the affordable housing community. SDHF also coordinates programs aimed at building capacity and expertise with the affordable housing sector.
An example of SDHFs work is The San Diego Homeless-Experienced Advocacy and Leadership (HEAL) Network, aimed at bringing the voices of individuals with lived experience of homelessness into critical local discourse to advance and inform public policy solutions. The HEAL program launched in April 2019 in partnership with Corporation for Supportive Housing and Alliance for Regional Solutions. The program engages individuals with lived experience into 6-week trainings, organizes their collective policy interests and powers, and connects them to advocacy opportunities at the local level. The HEAL Network is the foundation of our community outreach.
The Resident and Community Organizer Assistant provides support to SDHF’s homelessness lived-experience engagement and outreach work. The position will support the Resident and Community Organizer in developing and strengthening connections with individuals with lived-experience and services providers, outreaching for new engagement and leadership opportunities, developing educational programs, and preparing reports.
This position reports to the Resident and Community Organizer and works closely with the SDHF staff team, Board of Directors, and members.
- Assist with outreach and engagement with homelessness services providers, community organizations, and individuals with lived experience homelessness in North, South, and East County San Diego
- Support in one-on-one conversations to recruit individuals with lived experience to participate in community feedback forums
- Assist the Resident and Community Organizer in preparing materials, meeting agenda, and taking detailed meeting minutes
- Coordinate logistics of in-person or virtual meetings and community forums, including reserving meeting spaces and preparing meeting packets
- Help prepare written content for meeting outcomes, reporting requirements, and outreach material
- Assist in updating event and activity records such as attendance, stipend tracking, and payments
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Confident communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently
- Experience in assisting with the planning and organization of events and meetings
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some evenings will be required)
- If selected to fill the position, a criminal background check will be required prior to a formal offer of employment
- Personal lived-experience of homelessness
- Familiarity with trauma-informed care
- Strong organizational, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to use various databases and online search tools to conduct research independently
- Experience with website management (Squarespace) and web meeting platforms (Zoom and Teams)
Hourly rate range: $18 - $20, based on experience
Benefits: Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
Schedule: Part-time position, 20 – 33 hours per week (some evening hours required)
Start Date: No sooner than August 30, 2021 (to be mutually agreed upon)
Location: Hybrid position—a combination of field work, work from home, and SDHF offices at 3939 Iowa Street, Suite 1, San Diego, CA 92104
Equal Opportunity Employer
The San Diego Housing Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Resumes and cover letters should be sent to, Carol Hazen, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest!