Security Guard (Part-Time)
Who We Are
Founded in 1978, Mingei International Museum collects, preserves and exhibits “art of the world, art of the people,” including folk art, craft and design from all eras and cultures. Located in San Diego’s iconic Balboa Park, this highly respected Museum offers stunning exhibitions and diverse educational programs to more than 100,000 visitors each year. The Museum is a nonprofit organization.
Mingei has a deep commitment to creating a space where people are inspired to see their own world through new eyes and, in turn, rediscover, embrace and nurture their own creativity. The Museum recently embarked on a comprehensive, $55M building renovation to fulfill this mission in meaningful new ways. The transformed Mingei will be a place where all are welcome, where the community can gather, and where individuals can rest and find creative inspiration — all in the heart of Balboa Park.
While the Balboa Park Museum is temporarily closed, Mingei continues to offer pop-up exhibitions, maker events and installations across the region. The Museum plans to reopen to the public in September 2021. To learn more, please visit mingei.org/transformation.
At Mingei we hope to bring a memorable and meaningful experience to our audience, and this is only possible with the hard work and dedication of a passionate and creative team. Our commitment to equity, inclusion and accessibility is reflected in the work we do. As an organization that champions “art of the people,” our goal is for the Museum’s staff, board, volunteers and audience to represent diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity and national origin.
Reporting to the Facility and Security Manager, Security Guards at Mingei International Museum ensure Museum guests, staff and volunteers experience a safe and welcoming environment while they visit the Museum and the surrounding outdoor areas. The Security Guard’s role is to observe and react intuitively and quickly, constantly modeling a respectable presence. Additionally, this position is expected to provide radical hospitality, and share general Museum and Balboa Park knowledge with visitors. Through these roles, Security Guards create an atmosphere in which all can enjoy their Museum experience.
- Maintain the general security of the facility and assure the safety of its staff and visitors
- Be responsible, under supervision of the Museum’s Facility and Security Manager, for the maintenance of a safe, clean, well-ordered and welcoming environment throughout the Museum.
- Perform a wide variety of general duties in the Museum and for supporting events. Assist in setting and striking of furniture and equipment for special events.
- Make complete rounds at beginning and end of each day to ensure good order and security of the building. Report any issues to Facility and Security Manager.
- Monitor building and visitor activity during public, staff and event hours for security of exhibitions and safety of staff and guests both on the Museum floor and via CCTV system.
- Cooperate with Visitor Experience, Membership and Education teams to learn and convey museum information to enhance visitors’ museum experience
- Write incident reports as needed
- Help Facility and Security Manager with incident investigations
- Conduct monthly safety and fire checks, including monthly fire extinguisher inspections
- Operate and monitor the Museum’s alarm system and related equipment
- Monitor the building environment regularly during the day for cleanliness and good order and make necessary adjustments. Report any spills or trip hazards to custodial supervisor
- Respond to emergencies such as fire alarms and medical emergencies
- Monitor and report any HVAC issues or water leaks to Facility and Security Manager
- Assist at the reception desk when requested and answer telephones professionally as needed.
- When needed, close the museum, and activate the security system, checking that all staff have left the building and ensuring everything is secure
- Manage admission queue per compliance with museum capacity during museum hours
- Abide by all Mingei International Museum policies and procedures
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current State of California Guard card
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check
- Current CPR, First Aid and AED certificate
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Ability to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to lift and move boxes, furniture and supplies up to 50 pounds
We will work with you to match our requirements with your availability as best we can. Shifts may start as early as 9:00 am and go as late as 10:30 or 11:00 pm. Weekends and evenings will be required. You can expect 15-30 hours per week depending on your availability.
This is a part-time non-exempt position without benefits, paying $18.00 per hour.