The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking for a passionate mission supporting Special Events Lead. She/he will be responsible for overseeing the load-in and load-out of events, assisting in the management of Special Events Staff and having a Museum presence. This position requires the coordination of on-site event activities, including working with vendors, clients and guests, while continually maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor. Hours are determined on as-needed basis.
- Reviews work order with Special Events Staff and becomes familiar with purpose/type of event, timeline/agenda of the event, as well as diagrams for each location.
- Establishes contact with client as Museum contact person in addition to the Event Coordinator, Event Manager, or Director of Events.
- Communicates with Event Coordinator, Event Manager, Director of Events and Senior Director of Operations to ensure all situations are being addressed.
- Assists in the supervision of special events staff.
- Creates a break schedule for special events staff and arranges for all breaks to be taken and covered.
- Assists with the training of new special events staff.
- Provides post-event feedback to Event Coordinator, Event Manager, or Director of Events.
- Communicates with the Food and Beverage staff to ensure all contracted services are in place by the allotted time.
- Assists to ensure that Fire, City, Police, Park, Facility, and Alcohol codes are being followed to ensure that Museum is operating within the law.
- Ensures special events staff is present on all floors where there are guests.
- Monitors the event set-up to ensure security measures are met (i.e. tables are not too close to wall).
- Be prepared to evacuate guests if necessary.
- Completes the Special Events Lead event check-list for ensuring that the Museum has been cleaned up and can be locked up by Food and Beverage staff and Building Operations staff after the event.
- Works with Facilities staff at the end of the event to ensure that all exhibit areas/items are returned to regular for the Museum to open the next day.
- Works with the Food and Beverage staff at the end of the event to ensure that all items are returned to its proper storage location.
- Ensures that only appropriate vendors access loading areas.
- Operates Sidewalk Lift and Freight Elevator for vendors if Building Operations staff is unavailable.
- Oversees wristband procedures as vendors arrive for load-in and when vendor crew returns for load-out.
- Stops unauthorized vendors or Balboa Park guests from entering the Museum during load-in and load-out.
- Ensures vendors are following facility guidelines.
- A minimum of 3 months or equivalent as SDNHM special events staff
- 1+ year in supervisory experience or supervisory experience in a like-setting
- Comfortable dealing with a wide array of guests, vendors, and customer service situations.
- Must be well-versed in the Museum, and the Museum Policies and Procedures
- Must have reliable form of communication (phone, email)
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- If hired a (Live Scan) background check will be required.
- Flexible with scheduling of shifts and willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- In compliance with the San Diego Natural History Museum’s mandatory vaccination policy, the Museum requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accommodations based on medical and religious exemptions will be considered.
Position pays $18/hour. Employees enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.This is a part-time/as-needed position.
Qualified applicants, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or drop in visits.