Community HousingWorks has a full-time opportunity in our Accounting department for a Staff Accountant. A successful candidate will provide support to the Controller and the Senior Accountant, assist with various aspects to support the monthly financial close, as well as assist Controller and Senior Accountant with organization’s annual audit and budget. Additionally, this position will require active collaboration with external departments particularly Advancement (fundraising). This position will also take ownership of the organization’s cash-based revenue process. This position will also be required to document accounting policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and maintain organization’s cash receipt process.
- Collaborate with fundraising staff to review, process, reconcile and report on contributed revenue.
- Collaborate with program management to maintain various grant reconciliation schedules.
- Perform monthly revenue and expense allocations according to organization’s allocation guidelines.
- Perform monthly close procedures, including reconciliation of multiple general ledger accounts for both cash and accrual books.
- Prepare various account reconciliation schedules.
- Assist in reconciliation and processing of organization’s corporate credit card process.
- Assist with preparation of monthly reporting metrics for Finance Committee and distribution.
- Reconcile organization’s various bank accounts.
- Support Senior Accountant with monthly financial statement analysis for multiple lines of businesses.
- Assist and prepare HUD draws and ensure timely payments.
- Coordinate with Supportive Housing Manager regarding accounting compliance of HUD grants
- Document department processes, procedures, and policies; including but not limited to internal controls.
- Assist Controller and Senior Accountant with year-end audit preparation.
- Assist Controller and Senior Accountant with annual budget process.
- Support Controller and CFO with ad hoc projects.
Education and Experience:
BA in Accounting from an accredited college or related field of study with a minimum of three years accounting experience in a professional work environment or a combination of education and work experience. Experience in the not for profit industry a plus but not required.
CHW offers employees generous benefits, including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Plan
- 401(K) with company matching contributions
- Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability
- FSA (Flexible Spending Account)
- Paid time off
- 12 Paid holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
In addition to those benefits outlined above, CHW employees have access to a variety of other benefits to customize a benefit package that meets their individual needs. Examples of these benefits include Identify Theft Protection, Hospital Indemnity, Accident or Critical Illness Insurance, and ID Legal Shield Services Plan.