ABOUT THE JEWISH COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
The Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego (JCF) inspires, educates and engages with individuals and families to make them effective philanthropists and social investors, all through a lens of Jewish values. JCF develops and manages philanthropic vehicles and assets, including donor-advised funds, endowments and organizational funds. A philanthropic innovator, the JCF is a leading community foundation in offering impact investment opportunities to its donors. JCF is also renowned nationally for its Endowment Leadership Institute, a model that has been replicated across the country.
Over the past 50 years, the JCF has granted more than $1.8 billion to 7,000+ organizations on behalf of more than 1,000 donors, making it the largest grantor in San Diego. Nearly $1 billion of these funds have assisted organizations in our immediate community; close to $500 million has supported Jewish causes.
The work of our 15-member staff and 18-member Board is guided by JCF’s two core beliefs:
- We believe in the power of every individual to make a difference and that together we can change the world.
- We believe in the innate value of Jewish tradition, of living Jewish values in the present and ensuring a vibrant Jewish future.
OVERVIEW OF THE JOB:
This is a full-time exempt position within the Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego’s Finance Team, a group of experienced and tenured professionals dedicated to providing excellent service to donors, grantee organizations, staff and professional advisors by maintaining the highest level of clearly stated, timely and accurate financial records, reports and analytics which meet GAAP and IRS requirements. The JCF and our Finance Team value collaboration, innovation, professionalism and esprit de corps. The Finance Team currently includes Chief Financial Officer, Director of Finance, Senior Accountant, Financial Analyst and Grants Officer.
- Ensures all cash receipts or electronic collections have been properly processed and recorded. This includes handling bank deposits and recording accounting entries to the General Ledger.
- Assists in determining acceptability of donations received by the Foundation according to approved gift acceptance policies and IRS regulations.
- Processes security donations, interfaces with donors and brokers to transfer securities, directs sales of securities, monitors receipt of proceeds and enters in the General Ledger.
- Acts as central contact point for all issues and questions relating to donations.
- Processes all received invoices for payment, including verifying amounts for accuracy, confirming approval by appropriate personnel, printing checks and obtaining signatures.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and modification of accounting policies and procedures.
- Assists with proofing and distribution of quarterly and annual fund statements.
- Assists in month-end closing process, general ledger entries and reconciliations.
- Provides support for audit preparation and annual tax filings.
- Prepare ad hoc financial reports and analysis as requested by staff and donors.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in accounting; non-profit preferred
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
- Experience with fund accounting and integrated accounting systems; Blackbaud products a plus but not required
- Highly comfortable and competent with technology and eager to learn new systems and processes
- Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize multiple ongoing activities
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Excellent customer service skills
- JCF implemented a mandatory work at home policy in response to the pandemic. While it is anticipated staff will return the office at the appropriate time, this position may be eligible for a hybrid office/work at home schedule at a later date.
- Reports to Director of Finance
- Supports Finance Department for administrative, accounting and investment management projects
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com