If you are Spanish/English bilingual and love helping people of all ages move forward in life, this is the job for you! If you have the heart of a social worker, the organizational skills of a project manager & the brain of an educator, this is the job for you!
UPLIFT San Diego is a 501(c)3 Christian Outreach Ministry, founded in 1987, dedicated to advancing community equity through free homeless and student services so that all may live into their potential. There is no faith affiliation required to receive services from or volunteer with UPLIFT. All are welcome.
The Student Services Manager & Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the management and the successful implementation of all UPLIFT Student Services programs. Additionally, this position will be responsible for volunteer recruitment and community outreach for all UPLIFT Programs. They may be called upon to assist with event planning, public presentations, and development. This valued individual will work closely with the Board President, Programs Director, Homeless Services Manager, and volunteers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Current Student Services Include:
- The Kids at Heart (KAH) program provides free virtual and in-person tutoring to low income students & additional social support to students' families
- The Swimming Upstream program assists transitional aged youth navigate the rough waters of teen life through inspirational empowerment & life skills sessions over 10 week mentoring.
- Overseeing aspects of programming, including:
- Ensure that programs have adequate volunteers such that there are sufficient volunteers to meet the one-to-one ratio of tutors to students
- Promote student participation with school administrators, site coordinators and parents by developing and maintaining positive, effective working relationships
- Cultivate relationships with potential community partners
- Recruit, onboard and train all volunteers.
- Process background checks & child safe training for all volunteers and program staff.
- Evaluate risks and oversee safety of all volunteers and program participants.
- Ensure that programs have all necessary equipment
- Oversee coordination of program specific events, ie. KAH Student reward “Store” events, Fall backpack drive and distribution, and annual picnic
- Manage coordination of transportation for all programs as required
- Engage with other agencies to ensure referrals are processed and recorded
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently
- Sets and achieves goals and objectives
- Ability to take initiative and problem solve
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with families and community members of diverse cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to keep and maintain accurate records and to meet deadlines
- Positive and optimistic mindset, good natured with a sense of humor
- Working knowledge of Google Products such as Google Drive and G Suite as well as Microsoft Office products such as Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Associates or Bachelors Degree preferred
- Three years program development experience with youth, education housing, volunteer coordination or related fields preferred
- Combined education/experience may substitute for minimum experience
- Reliable transportation, good driving record
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Spanish as language of origin preferred for conversing with Student’s families.
- Good natured with a love of people
- Good customer service standards
- Creative problem solving skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee will occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. The employee will be required to travel for a variety of work functions such as meetings, events, and community presentations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work will be done in an office, out in the community and at partner organizations.
An environment that is inclusive and welcoming and accepting of the intersectionality of those seeking services in San Diego’s unsheltered and vulnerable communities.
All employees and volunteers are mandated elder and child abuse reporters.
All employees will have a background check.
Current Job Location: 2691 B Street, San Diego, California 92102
- Based on 40 hours per week, Mon – Friday, 5 days at 8 hours
- Salary Range: $42,000-$45,000
- Paid Holidays: 6 per year (New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas)
- Vacation accrual begins after 3 months of employment at the current accrual rate per hour worked up to 64 hours annually, Two paid weeks per year worked
- Healthcare: allowance available up to $400 per month
UPLIFT is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We look forward hearing from you ♥