Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Position Overview: The Supervising Immigration Attorney will oversee Jewish Family Service of San Diego’s new legal services program to provide eviction defense to undocumented individuals in our community. The Supervising Immigration Attorney will first focus on program design and creation, with the goal of building and ramping up capacity to provide representation. After the program has been created, the Supervising Immigration Attorney will be expected to maintain a large caseload which may include: interviewing prospective clients; analyzing their legal problems; rendering legal advice; negotiation with opposing parties and agencies; preparing and submitting documents for clients; representing clients in various phases of litigation; attending community meetings; developing positive relationships with client communities; developing complex litigation; finding solutions to broader client problems through litigation; policy development or other strategies.
- Interviewing prospective clients; rendering legal advice; preparation of legal documents; developing a caseload
- Representing clients in all phases of administrative hearings or court litigation, including research, drafting pleadings and briefs, trial, and appeal
- Attending community meetings, community education events and community workshops
- Developing positive relationships with the client community
- Handling an increasingly complex caseload
- Assisting in the training and supervision of advocates, law students and volunteers as appropriate
- Developing creative methods, litigious and non-litigious for dealing with recurring client problems
- Compliance with all program and grant requirements
- Connecting individuals/families with resources
- Data entry in client management software or Excel
- Assisting with as-needed operations of program
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
- Admitted and in Good Standing with the California State Bar
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Understanding of foreign-born immigrant populations and the concept of trauma-informed care
- Sensitivity to cultural differences present in the service population
- Excellent judgment and instinct, especially when working autonomously
- Demonstrated persistence in finding resources that address the needs of the clients
- Ability to offer professional and friendly service in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and desire to work in a team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including regular evening hours (at least 1-2 per week) and weekends
- Comfort working in an environment where multiple languages are spoken
- Spanish language competency preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Must pass pre-employment background check
- A valid driver’s license, car insurance, reliable vehicle and a clean driving record
Read to Move Forward?
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link:
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
About the San Diego Rapid Response Network
Jewish Family Service of San Diego, the ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties, the San Diego Organizing Project (SDOP), and SEIU Local 221 are core partners of the San Diego Rapid Response Network (SDRRN or Network). The Network is a group of 40+ immigrant rights and social service organizations, attorneys and community leaders who educate, protect and assist immigrant individuals and families – including refugees and asylum seekers – with legal support and social services. JFS is the fiscal sponsor for the Network and leads the Network’s legal and supportive services programming.
*Jewish Family Service is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.