Position Title: Volunteer & Outreach Manager
Position Location: San Diego
Reality Changers prepares youth to become first generation college graduates and agents of change in their communities. Based in San Diego County, the organization annually serves over 500 students and 3,000+ program graduates.
The Volunteer & Outreach Manager is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the volunteer and intern programs at Reality Changers. The Volunteer & Outreach Manager person will engage students, volunteers, interns, donors and alumni in the mission of Reality Changers by connecting them to each other, to great opportunities, and to the work of the organization.
In addition, the Volunteer & Outreach Manager will support how the organization inspires external stakeholders to engage with and give to Reality Changers. This person will generate social media content, liaise with donors who participate in volunteer activities, and coordinate in-kind donations.
The Volunteer & Outreach Manager will report to the Director of Development.
✔ Attract and retain mission-aligned volunteers to RC to help the organization achieve its goals.
✔ Enhance volunteer effectiveness through the design, execution, and assessment of ongoing development activities.
✔Increase development team capacity by supporting them with social media, in-kind donations, and events.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Volunteer Management (50%)
- Recruit volunteers for the Reality Changers Tutor & Mentorship Programs.
- Maintain, develop and administer clear volunteer on-boarding and retention strategies, including: application process,background checks, orientation, tracking, volunteer recognition/appreciation, ongoing training and development.
- Manage tutor program administration; collaborate with department staff and local partners to support volunteer assignments and responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Network team to provide meaningful support to mentors and mentees (i.e. Alumni Professional Mentor Program, other Alumni leadership & professional development programs, etc.).
- Regularly evaluate volunteer programs and make recommendations for improvement.
- Maintain and develop a volunteer records database (Salesforce) to manage all volunteer reporting, volunteer applications, etc.
- Maintain records of alumni engagement/interactions in programs (i.e., tutors, volunteers, mentee participants).
- Provide consistent communication with the volunteer community through in-person and remote activities, as well as other communication channels.
Community Outreach (30%)
- With the Marketing & Communications Manager, develop and manage an editorial calendar; create, schedule, and distribute compelling content that provides value to our target audiences across social media, websites, email, and other channels.
- With the Marketing & Communications Manager, draft content, actively track and manage Reality Changers’ and Alumni Network’s social media profiles; engage with donors, volunteers, and followers; attract new followers.
- Collaborate with teams to identify and generate in-kind donations for the organization; manage the in-kind donation process to ensure donors receive a tax receipt and are acknowledged appropriately.
- Collaborate with the Development Team in supporting their efforts to increase fundraising revenue from volunteers.
- With the Development Manager, participate in the development and coordination of donor and volunteer engagement events, including Over The Edge.
- Collaborate with Program Directors to design additional volunteer opportunities to support the organization and engage volunteers with specific interests and expertise.
- Help lead the annual Job Shadow Week for professionals and students.
- Manage volunteer and intern recruitment and maintain volunteer and intern presence at Reality Changers’ key events and programs.
Leadership and Supervision (15%)
- Oversee the administration, placement, and onboarding process of Reality Changers’ interns.
- Co-supervise the Communications Intern.
- Integrate organizational Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals into volunteer efforts.
- Develop and evaluate annual volunteer goals and assessments to ensure on-going progress towards strategic plan.
- Support staff with program specific volunteer training and professional development for volunteer management.
General Admin (5%)
- Manage program budget with support from the Development Director.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university is required.
- 2+ years of volunteer management experience and/or nonprofit development or fundraising.
- Prior work with young adults is preferred.
- Experience in volunteer recruitment and/or donor engagement required.
- Experience making presentations to the professional business community is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and e-mail systems (Gmail or MS Outlook) is required.
- A valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to and from Reality Changers’ locations and related events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organization skills, and computer skills.
- Capability to work effectively and authentically across generations, cultures and diverse constituencies.
- Proficiency in a second language (especially Spanish) is a plus.
- Knowledge of VolunteerHub or other CRM system (e.g., Salesforce) is a plus.
- Represent Reality Changers in a positive manner in all public and private settings.
- Provide positive encouragement to students in all public and private settings.
- Instill a sense of empowerment in the Tutors, Volunteers, and interns to uphold Reality Changers’ expectations of students (such as areas of discipline in the study room).
- Exemplify commitment to Reality Changers’ mission and values.
Travel and Hours
- Regular evening work (e.g., weekday program evenings) is required.
- Some weekend work is expected.
- Occasional travel will be expected.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. Due to COVID-19, Reality Changers employees are currently operating in a hybrid model---working in-person from the office and/or remotely from home. Office and meeting space is available on a limited basis in accordance with public health recommendations. Starting Dec. 20, Reality Changers' staff, students, and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, in accordance with San Diego Unified School District's requirements.
This job requires the ability to sit, use hands and arms to perform repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. It requires moderate dexterity, application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand-eye coordination, etc.), and the ability to bend or stand as necessary.
Position range: This position is full-time, exempt, with a salary range of $55,000 - $63,000 annually. Benefits for this position include a 403(b) plan, medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, paid holidays, and vacation.
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. The anticipated start date is in January 2022.
● A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Reality Changers’ focus and mission
● Current resume
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as early as possible as interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. The anticipated start date is soon after an offer is made.
Reality Changers serves first-generation youth from low-income backgrounds and from groups who are traditionally under-represented on college campuses---such as Black, Latinx, Indigenous, LGBT+, Immigrant and/or Undocumented communities. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities and/or backgrounds.