Third Avenue Charitable Organization
Job Title: Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Part-time, 24 hours/week over five days
Date: June 2021
Salary Range: $18.00 to $20.00 an hour, based on experience
The Third Avenue Charitable Organization, Inc. (TACO) is a non-profit organization located in downtown San Diego. Our mission is “TACO is a community drawn together to support the dignity, health and well-being of people among us experiencing homelessness and poverty.” TACO provides four meals per week, clothing, medical, pharmacy, dental, acupuncture and legal clinics as well as social work services to the homeless and working poor in our community.
The key responsibility of the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC) is to create a positive and meaningful volunteer experience in support of TACO’s programs and mission. Volunteers are a treasured TACO resource.
The VEC is responsible for recruiting, training, scheduling and supervising volunteers for all TACO operational needs, programs and events. The VEC works closely with Development staff and the Food Coordinator to engage individual volunteers and community partners in support of TACO’s work.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibility Area: Volunteer Recruitment, Training and Scheduling
- Develop and distribute a TACO volunteer handbook for all volunteers.
- Design and post volunteer job descriptions and opportunities including screening and interviewing candidates as well as matching volunteers to opportunities appropriate to their skills.
- Identify, schedule and attend outreach events that increase the visibility of TACO’s mission and recruit volunteers.
- Develop volunteer schedule; ensure confirmed volunteers for each shift.
- Provide new volunteers with orientation, tours and training on job specifics including policies and procedures and other job-related resources.
- Interview, select, and monitor volunteers who have court-ordered community service requirements.
Responsibility Area: Volunteer and Meal Program Supervision
- Ensure all new volunteers complete waiver forms prior to serving.
- Prepare and conduct a pre-meal huddle with volunteers to promote an inclusive and cohesive team environment. This may include an icebreaker, announcements, and an inspirational story or moment.
- Plan, set up, manage work and clean-up of all volunteer shifts.
- Ensure volunteers follow food safety standards (wearing gloves, not touching the food, etc.).
- Close working relationship with Food Coordinator and staff to provide best experience for guests and volunteers alike.
- Handle guest issues that may arise, consulting with the Executive Director as needed.
- Manage donated item storage and distribution.
Responsibility Area: Volunteer Program Management
- Maintain a database of volunteer information, availability and skills in database.
- Write thank-you letters for in-kind donations.
- Evaluate volunteer programs by collecting volunteer, staff and customer feedback.
- Collect data for and write sections of grant and other reports.
- Establish and maintain exemplary interactions with volunteers, donors, partner organizations, vendors and coworkers.
Position Parameters/Additional Responsibilities Required:
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to stand on feet for up to three hours at a time.
- May be asked to work at special events such as TACO fundraisers and volunteer appreciation parties outside of regular work schedule.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Passionate about TACO’s mission.
- Experience in volunteering and recruitment.
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit, business management, human resources or related field, or comparable experience.
- Excellent organization and team-building skills to handle multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills across various aspects including email and phone etiquette. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, especially with cross-cultural and cross-generational sensitivity.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership and follow-through on all tasks.
- Ability to work congenially with volunteers, colleagues, and vendors including those with varying backgrounds and life experiences. Display a positive attitude, tact and patience in a dynamic environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word and Excel) and social media.
It is the policy of the employer to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, and to recruit, hire, train, promote, and compensate persons in all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.